Quiet ceiling pull switch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a quiet ceiling pull switch. I've done a Google search and there's hundreds of entries so they must be sought after - yet no one seems to have found one. Anyone here know of an make/model that doesn't sound like a couple of rifle shots in the middle of the night?

why not consider one of those type of remote switches and the lighting plug wired to a 13amp socket?

That would be silent

Or put the wife in another room :wink:

if its a light switch you should be ok with the quality makes the likes of m&k etc.
if its a shower type switch youre after - Ive never seen (heard?) a quiet one (probably down to the fact there must be a larger gap between contact when in the off position 3mm maybe?)

have a look at the bottom of this page... http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/ele ... witch.html

RogerP":226wqbid said:
I'm looking for a quiet ceiling pull switch. I've done a Google search and there's hundreds of entries so they must be sought after - yet no one seems to have found one. Anyone here know of an make/model that doesn't sound like a couple of rifle shots in the middle of the night?

Roger I have recently tried to find one, finished with an MK but still loud, but quieter than a B&Q special :cry: I now tend not to use it and bump into things like the door. I assume they make a noise because the mechanical mech has to go over centre and remain there, so a strong spring is required.

Use a remote control on the ringmain and a table lamp like I mentioned above.
I should have said that this is for the overhead light in a bathroom/toilet. Silly thing is that when we did the room up a year ago I replaced the original with a nice shiny new one. The old one was quiet the new one sounds like gunshot. Unfortunately I can't find the old one now :(
Roger I have recently tried to find one, finished with an MK but still loud, but quieter than a B&Q special :cry: I now tend not to use it and bump into things like the door. I assume they make a noise because the mechanical mech has to go over centre and remain there, so a strong spring is required.
That's the situation here. :) A Google search reveals umpteen messages from folk looking for and failing to find a quiet switch.

Alternatively....

lightedslippers.jpg

+

IlluminatedToiletSeat.jpg

Sorted :wink:

Crabtree is reckoned to be one of the quietest for ceiling pull switches.

could you possibly install a wall light switch outside the bathroom

Final solution.

Purchase a 6 watt low energy bulb and leave it on all night.

60watts per night 10 hours
420 watts per 7 day week
22 killowats per year
22 x 12p per kw= £2.64.
Cheaper than buying a new ceiling switch.

I used to have a dimming ceiling light switch, I seem to recall it had a very quiet on off action.
PIR switches are great but you should still fit a mechanical switch somewhere.

Back