Quickish project....computer table WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
SWIMBO decided that she wanted a new computer desk for her business so I've been busy this afternoon, timber is laminated pine which I bought flat :shock: Pic shows the two main parts, the 'L' is where the computer will sit and the bigger bit is for box file and paper storage, sitting space is about 580mm. A drawer will be made for all the usual bits and pieces of rubbish that accumulate - you can see some iroko runners for it. Carcase has been biscuited and glued, couple of cauls can be seen cramping the shelf. Top will be an off cut of kitchen worktop (little bit in place at one end). Need to also make a pair of plinths and a unit on top of the desk for the printer etc. Hope to get this finished in a couple of days and will post some more pics - Rob
desksall.jpg

Hi Woodbloke; (Rob?)

I should imagine it's looking good. But all I can see is a red X, where the picture should be. What do I need to do to see the pics?

I am in need of a workstation myself. As I can't see anything half-decent, retail, I will have to make my own... Just thought I would do some surfing and dream up a few ideas.

Thanks and
Happy Chipping

John W

Have just finished installing the new computer table. Its been made in two bits and joined together by four pieces using big screws pulling into a 25mm elm dowel, the biscuit is glued in one side only and acts to locate the rail and prevent twisting as the screws are tightened:

p1-1.jpg

Next pic shows the unit almost screwed together minus the top:

p2-1.jpg

This pic shows the unit with the top in place, complete with stand for the printer. Stand fixed to the top with big screws and elm doweling.

p3.jpg

The drawer is made with lapped d/ts but I've added a bit of iroko to the drawer side and the runner is also iroko, so it shouldn't wear out too quickly:

p4.jpg

This is the final installation with UKworkshop on screen. Note the mandatory cool computer duck. Space under the printer is to hold large ring binders and the bigger space will hold a load of box files. Finished with 3 gloopy coats of matt acrylic:

p5.jpg

The usual 'mare of cables at the back.....would like to nominate the guy who invented cable ties for a knighthood :lol: : - Rob

Very nice job, Rob. You've incorporated some really nice features. I like the elm dowelling and biscuit and the dovetail drawers and iroko runners. I also like the solid wood lipping on the end of the worktop - much nicer and 'softer' than the usual laminate. Smashing job.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back