Question about routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonluv

Established Member
Reaction score
Been a scroller for 67 years and have been given a plunge router, the first one I have ever had would like to use it on some white oak clocks.

The question is --- why is the router base shaped like a "chopped off" circle? Can I cut using the flat parts of the base up against a straight edge ?

Been on YouTube and a bit confused

Many thanks

John

Not sure about the technical reason for this, but I've used a straight edge as a guide, many times. Not sure if all machines have a flat part on the base, but my OF1400 has, as does my T4.

You can use the flat part to run against a straight edge. I prefer to either use a guide bush with a straight edge, or use the round part of the baseplate. The circle of the base is centred on the collet if that makes sense. To where ever you touch the round part against a straight edge it will be the same distance to the cutter. But guide bush is better.

Mar_mite":lfv8u2eo said:
The circle of the base is centred on the collet if that makes sense.

Not always. Better to use a large, square base for more accuracy. You can buy one

or make one

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":1w39qadz said:
Mar_mite":1w39qadz said:

Not always. Better to use a large, square base for more accuracy. You can buy one

or make one

Paul
The best thing to use is a guide bush. I find running the router off the flat part is a bit hairy, one slip and your off line. That's why there is a round section. My big makita is completely circular for this reason.

Had a bit of a play this afternoon and cut a couple of dados using straight edge and flat side of base --- appears to be ok

Will try something more advanced tomorrow with guide

John

Paul Chapman":3f442l32 said:
Mar_mite":3f442l32 said:

or make one

Paul

I use a spare router table insert plate.

You can run any part of a router base against a straight edge.Just be careful to always use the same part.I had to smile when I read that the centre of the base circle is centred on the collet,the last three 1/4 inch DeWalts I have used had a base that put the guide bush off the centre of the collet.Obviously this means that if you attempt to use the guide bush and a straight edge you also need to keep the same orientation of the router.Maybe other people do this anyway as they may always use the same finger on the switch.With the DeWalts I referred to,if you were cutting a hinge recess you had to rotate the router to keep the orientation correct to the recess jig and had to use both hands on the switch at some time.

I liked the old (very old) Stanley routers with the round base as they were actually concentric.

worn thumbs":3vru49sl said:
I had to smile when I read that the centre of the base circle is centred on the collet,the last three 1/4 inch DeWalts I have used had a base that put the guide bush off the centre of the collet.

You can overcome this by using a Trend sub-base, which enables you to ensure that the guide bushes are centred around the cutter

http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/productsu ... bases.html

http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/productli ... -base.html

http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/productli ... bases.html

Paul

I have the same issue with my boss's dewalt router too. No way of centring it other than using the sub base as Paul already mentioned.
Certainly a difference on the hinge jig if you don't keep the router the same way around.

If the guide bush isn't centred on the collet if take it back, must be a flaw with the manufacture surely? I'm happy to say my makita is spot on. Both the bush and the baseplate are center.

Back