Queensland Maple.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 tonne of hydraulic pressure to imprint the makers stamp onto the hardback. No distortion of the hardback which is great news.

Saw plate assembly seated within the handle. The numeral pencil marks on the saw bolts will be removed at the end of the saw build.

At this early stage I have placed the stamp location at the forward 1/3 distance of exposed brass back. Feedback is welcome if you feel that should be changed to a more central location.

The next step will be to file the saw teeth. 12 tpi; 10* rake; 0 fleam .

regards Stewie;

I understand that you want to make your saws look distinctive but they do that by the quality of your work. For me, placing the mark off centre just looks wrong and makes it look unbalanced.

AndyT":3c6itx7p said:
I understand that you want to make your saws look distinctive but they do that by the quality of your work. For me, placing the mark off centre just looks wrong and makes it look unbalanced.

Thanks Andy.

regards Stewie;

Personally I thought it looked ok a third from the end (golden rule and all that). From an aesthetic point of view, if you want to centralise, shouldn't the stamp be placed so that the T of Tools is on the centre point? This will mean that the text is equi-distant from each end? If you start the text on the centre point it may look unbalanced as the gap in front of the stamp will be greater than the space after it.

BTW, great looking saw.

I'm not sure I feel strongly about where it should be, but - that stamp has come out nicely; looks to have marked the actual back better than the sample you posted earlier ?

Inoffthered":3qvov4t2 said:
Personally I thought it looked ok a third from the end (golden rule and all that). From an aesthetic point of view, if you want to centralise, shouldn't the stamp be placed so that the T of Tools is on the centre point? This will mean that the text is equi-distant from each end? If you start the text on the centre point it may look unbalanced as the gap in front of the stamp will be greater than the space after it.

BTW, great looking saw.

Thanks you for your thoughts. I also like the stamp in its current position. #-o

Stewie;

Sheffield Tony":2rlut4h0 said:
I'm not sure I feel strongly about where it should be, but - that stamp has come out nicely; looks to have marked the actual back better than the sample you posted earlier ?

Hi Tony. I agree. The quality of the stamp impression has improved. As a bonus I was able to reduce the required hyd pressure from 7 to 5 tonnes. All good news.

regards Stewie;

AndyT":1wnvm8mb said:

You're only meant to read it on the backstroke, Andy. :lol:

Does look nice, mind.

The completed Queensland Myrtle backsaw.

I have also provided a photo of the previously made Black Walnut Backsaw with the stamp positioned more to the center of the hardback's length. (much better option)

(Unfortunately the clarity of brass back stamps did not show up very well within both of these photo's.)

regards Stewie;

Stunning saws Stewie..the craftsmanship I have come to expect from you my friend.

As for the stamp...I'm with Andy I'm afraid...the stamp should be centred on the brass back.

Cheers

Jimi

jimi43":3awpjo2d said:
Stunning saws Stewie..the craftsmanship I have come to expect from you my friend.

As for the stamp...I'm with Andy I'm afraid...the stamp should be centred on the brass back.

Cheers

Jimi

Hi Jimi. I am quite happy to admit that I was wrong with my innital interpretation of where the stamp should be located. It nice to hear from you again. ( I wont mention the price for my backsaws, but its well below what you paid for with your Skeltons). :roll:

Take care Jimi;

regards Stewie.

swagman":2lgornxc said:
jimi43":2lgornxc said:

Cheers

Jimi

Hi Jimi. I am quite happy to admit that I was wrong with my innital interpretation of where the stamp should be located. It nice to hear from you again. ( I wont mention the price for my backsaws, but its well below what you paid for with your Skeltons). :roll:

Take care Jimi;

regards Stewie.

Hi Stewie

I don't come here too often and I do miss our chats.

The placement of the backstamp is no issue at all...but since you asked I felt the need to express my opinion...and it's not down to golden ratios or anything other than traditional "looks right" viewpoint. To me...having seen the vast majority (if not all) of backsaws going back to the very originals....placing their stamps in the centre...when I see it displaced to the front it looks as though a bit is missing from the length.

As for "price"...I'm sure you know your market and I wish you well with sales...as I'm sure you will make many.

Skelton saws are underpriced in my honest opinion but that is based on my knowledge of the research which has been done...and the time I know that Shane spends making each one. If yours are priced more keenly..then I would say that they too are undervalued in their worth.

Handmade tools are something which should be supported...I'm sure there are many Antipodeans just waiting in the wings to support your industry as I feel we should support ours here in Britain. Unlike other investments...these are ones which can be used and that's the kind of investment I prefer to make.

Cracking pieces of art mate...may you long continue making them. I still use my toothing plane often...and it will take pride of place alongside the Skelton, TLT, Philly, Carter and Spark tools in my heirloom chest (when I get off my buttocks and make it! LOL!) :wink:

Cheers

Jim

Back