Quangsheng No.6 Acceptable Finish Condition On A New Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whats wrong with my face?

Attachments

• osvald-helmuth-viser-og-monologer-1-lp-emi.jpg
    osvald-helmuth-viser-og-monologer-1-lp-emi.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 281
Phew, well after all that. The consensus is the finish on the plane, is as good as one will get on any of the Quangsheng range and even on some higher price ones. So I have decided to keep it. Retailer has been in touch, very helpful, said more or less the same thing as regards the finish, as being as good as one will get. Also offered me a full refund including return post. I explained to him after the grief with Faithfull and Axminster Rider not being up to expected standard. I was peeved off a bit when I got the Quangsheng, thinking, oh no, not again!
All is good, all resolved, thanks to everyone who replied.
Stay tuned :)

I do enjoy pot noodles but I don't think I have any Chinese going through me :lol:

GOOD LORD, THEY'RE 175 POUNDS NOW!!!

Sorry for the caps. I just can hardly believe that. Though you guys did make me pay that much in a straight up auction for a vintage sorby 7. Someone in the UK must've really wanted it. I use it almost every time i'm in the shop now, though, and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

As for the marks on the plane above - i'd be indifferent, but if you are the kind of person who sometimes sells things later, you shouldn't be. Get one that's clean.

It pains me to say that, because the marks really don't matter, but you're paying for something that doesn't have them.

thetyreman":16kmh0lv said:
somebody needs to do a side by side comparison, quangsheng no6 vs Clifton no6 vs Lie Neilsen no6 vs veritas no6, lets ave it :D

I'll have the original stanley bailey 6. I've never had a quangsheng, not because there's anything wrong with copying bedrock planes, but because the original copies actually took a bunch of slightly different setup items right out of a lie nielsen plane, and in my opinion - it appeared that those went away from the LN type looking bits to avoid legal issues.

They're also boat anchor heavy (the QS planes, sold as wood river over here) and I don't see the value proposition of them. My first *real* plane after buying a poorly rehabbed stanely 5 was a LN cocobolo handled 6.

At any rate, the original is still the best for actually doing work. The LN planes are a click heavier than most of the originals and that makes them nose heavy in actual work. The fine milling creates more friction, especially if you manage to run one across end grain, and ultimately isn't an asset.

I'd defer to people to make their own decisions about their own ethics, though. Telling other people what to do is not my bag - i'm already an overthinker, and would hate to run into an overthinker who thought more and more accurately than I did.

thetyreman":2afnu1tb said:
somebody needs to do a side by side comparison, quangsheng no6 vs Clifton no6 vs Lie Neilsen no6 vs veritas no6, lets ave it :D
To a degree hasn't this already been done piecemeal? Not with 6s necessarily, but certainly there are multiple side-by-side comparisons out there.

Get a set of planes from these guys together and from the large pics and high-res video I've seen over the years I'd expect there'd be strong competition for second place, with two or possibly three contenders on any given day. First place would nearly always be won by L-N.

pollys13":6fspxjd3 said:
All is good, all resolved, thanks to everyone who replied.
Excellent. Since you're happy I don't mind going off on a bit of a tangent.

I mentioned Gumtree above, I track hand-tool prices there weekly and record some of the great deals that I find and there's something noteworthy since my previous post.

It's a job lot of planes and a handful of other things for £150. Doesn't sound promising until you read what it includes: Stanley 5 1/2, Stanley 71, (there we go, in profit already! but it gets even better), Stanley 80, Record 010, Record 020, all in serviceable condition it looks like. Plus two oilstones in hardwood boxes, and a few bits and bobs including possibly a third loose oilstone.

On the subject of castings: I used to work for an engineering company that used large castings in it's finished products. We're talking 100kg through to 20 odd tons.
It is difficult to get a perfect casting, especially sand casting. On large pieces it was routine to find cracks and voids that were ground out and made good by welding. That was absolutely standard on virtually every piece, understood and universally accepted by our customers.
You want the machined surfaces to be right and the non critical surfaces to be acceptable but don't expect a mass market plane to be perfect.
For that you need more expensive manufacturing methods or for the mfr to reject a very high proportion of the raw castings when they receive them from the foundry.
Also, typical for small castings, once knocked out of the sand and allowed to cool for a little while, they are randomly chucked into a stillage for transport. Very often this is an old 200 litre oil drum that has had the top cut off with a gas axe. Wonder where those little dings on the edges came from ...

Latest posts

Back