Quangsheng low angle jack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahh.. yes, the planes from WSH are great, and you get the three blades etc...
however, they come sharp, but totally square, you need to camber them and I'm told with considerably more of a camber than 1/64th or even a 1/32nd... cos they're bevel up!

Any guidance anyone ??? :duno:

Cheers!

Some users will be happy to add a camber freehand. For anyone wanting a geometrically justified approach Derek Cohen describes how to make a jig to put camber on bevel up irons, on his website. . Opinions on which way is best are a matter of opinion!

I had a look at Derek's site and his article on BU blade cambering...
then I had a look at the Veritas AND LN site, who dont mention cambering at all in their notes or product guides so...

I'm going to add a bit of camber onto the blade, hone it and go.....

Cheers!

clivethecarpenter":40ombrkw said:
Looks like the doom merchants have arrived to put a stop to any new tool purchases

YAWN .................
The OP asks if he "needs" a QS plane etc etc. The answer is unequivocally no. If he wants to treat himself to an expensive novelty tool that's another issue altogether.
Why is it "doom" merchanting? Surely it's good news to be told you don't need to spend a fortune if you want to do woodwork? Has cheered me up no end, over the years!! Some people need to know this or they could be put off for life by the price of some of the flashy gear in the catalogues.

I look at a photography forum as well as this one, and the bias of its postings towards shopping is even worse than here, along the lines of 'should I get a this, or a that' rather than thinking about what's actually got to be DONE.

Photo-sharing websites like Flickr are also revealing, in that group collections based around any rather expensive camera model consist maybe 75% of ill-judged snapshots.

When I think that my grandad got up at 5am daily all week to walk the 6 miles to work, in all weathers & in the dark in the wintertime ...

Have I gone off-topic?

longinthetooth":c4gxhv8b said:
When I think that my grandad got up at 5am daily all week to walk the 6 miles to work, in all weathers & in the dark in the wintertime ...

Hello,

Was this back in the time when Stanley made planes of the best quality they ever did, had the biggest catalogue of plane models of any manufacturer before or since, and their relative cost was more than the Quiangsheng planes we are talking about? Since the OP has stated he has few planes and it is a fact that some tools at least are needed to do woodwork, I think he is being neither extravagant nor over equipped. Quite a lot of pleasure can be derived from woodwork and owning and caring for the tools. Or was fun frowned upon in your grandfathers day, too?

Mike.

You will enjoy owning and using this plane. It is great on tricky grained timber. A quality plane and 3 sharp blades that keep their edge. I have a few QS planes from WH, no problems (I made a new tote for the 62 as it was not quite right for me) with any of the planes. If I was to start woodwork from scratch, I would buy the QS bench planes rather than Stanley/Record planes, eliminating hours of fettling. I have either Smoothcut/QS/Cosman blades in my benchplanes, backed with QS chipbreakers and QS yolks to maximise performance and satisfaction.

For value for money the QS take some beating I have never had one sent back or any problems with any of mine. I do put cambers on the blades and the cambers on low angle planes need to be bigger than on standard bevel down planes. The reason behind this is the standard bench planes are set at 45 degrees when the low angle of 12 degrees is used this more than half’s the effect of the camber.

Cheers Peter

woodbrains":3au1xgg5 said:
longinthetooth":3au1xgg5 said:

Or was fun frowned upon in your grandfathers day, too?

Mike.

Fun is bad. I'm a northerner.

Well, it arrived and now, after fifteen minutes on the wet-grinder and hone, I absolutely LOVE this plane. It is easy to adjust - projection, laterally and mouth - and feels so solid and hefty. I had a trip to Potter's wood yard this morning (my first) and came back with some red cedar and some beech. I've tried it on the cedar (which my 5 1/2 got flat, but a bit rough) and it smoothed it all round, including the end grain. I'm looking forward to trying it in the beech tomorrow.

Definitely worth the money in my opinion and I haven't even tried the other blades yet.

Latest posts

Back