quality of redwood pine degrading + price increasing.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
has anyone else noticed the quality of redwood pine massively degrading? I'm not surprised in a way with lockdown but my latest local timber merchant purchase is the worst I've gotten in 4 years,

I'm used to seeing slow grown pretty tight ringed pine but this batch was very fast growth, loads of knots and frankly very poor quality, and it's also gone up in price at least 20% maybe more, anyone else noticed this?

I think that quality is one thing - you generally get what you pay for - but that prices are definitely on the up.
Suppliers are facing increased costs due to covid, and the pound has significantly lost ground to the euro in recent months ( I'm sure that the great self-inflicted injury that dare not speak it's name has absolutely nothing to do with that....).

I was in Jewsons yesterday, I only needed a few boards, most of it was very bendy and knotty so I bought a larger size than I really needed because at least it was straight.
All the timber there has been fast grown for a year or two, very white colour wide rings and soft, I think its cut from smaller trees. As you say it certainly used to be better.

I can get some joinery grade stuff but would have to drive half an hour each way to get it, so not worth it for a couple of bits.

Ollie

I have, specifically I'm seeing more boards which include the pith (not something I'd expect to see in U/S).

Not seen any fast-grown material, but the most recent lot I bought was marked as from Enso's Uimaharju mill, so that's hardly surprising; It's more common in Southern Baltic/Northern Germany and UK sourced logs.

Practically everything across the board in construction materials has gone up ~15% or so in price this year, including most commerical timbers. I have also noticed a bit of a lack in quality in the joinery softwood as of late, really nasty splits all over the place and some down-right completely unusable boards.

The Accoya isn't much better at the moment either, A1 grade seems to be getting like A2 grade a little more every day with really nasty shakes in the early growth from what I reckon is being overcooked which run the whole length of a plank and are invisible on the surface until you cut into them. There's also some serious tension in the planks at the moment as you'll get a plank that's dead straight but once you've ripped it down it's bowed out an inch on each piece! Bearing in mind this some of this stuff is knocking £30 per linear metre!

When you look at the trees being grown and felled it’s no surprise the timber is so dung. This in Highlands.
703A3B14-A7AD-43CF-BD41-EF7AA26996BF.jpeg

I was talking to my timber merchant a couple of days ago he was saying prices are rising again, he said CLS had gone up 40p a length this year which is quite a hike.
As for quality I find that is down to the supplier, if they stock rubbish they can only sell rubbish, finding a yard run by folks who know what is & isn’t quality is the key, builders merchants don’t usually fall into that category.

I can buy 6x1 rough sawn for a £1/m which is lovely Swedish slow growth pine.

2x2 par is from Wickes as the quality is much better than from builders merchant.

CLS is decent from wickes too.

Close grained too unless you get the bottom of the lack with shakes in each length!!

Cheers James

Practically everything across the board in construction materials has gone up ~15% or so in price this year, including most commerical timbers. I have also noticed a bit of a lack in quality in the joinery softwood as of late, really nasty splits all over the place and some down-right completely unusable boards.

The Accoya isn't much better at the moment either, A1 grade seems to be getting like A2 grade a little more every day with really nasty shakes in the early growth from what I reckon is being overcooked which run the whole length of a plank and are invisible on the surface until you cut into them.
They do tell you about this if you do the Accoya accreditation. Gotta check the odd board They will replace the board free of charge

Also most people want quality timber but won't pay more for it so stocking quality just leaves it spoiling on the shelves (unfortunately people being prepared to pay for quality are now very much a minority)

I had to build a solid door and frame...
but because the wood here is abso rubbish I had to laminate the boards to get tthe size of stock I wanted...
took more than 2'wice as long to do the job.....
most of our soft wood comes from Russia.....and it aint cheap.......
and dont get me started on decking....

They do tell you about this if you do the Accoya accreditation. Gotta check the odd board They will replace the board free of charge

Yes, they do tell you this although I've never had them replace a board free of charge, it's definitely a lot more prevalent in the last year or so than it has been in the past.

thanks everyone, it's good to know my moans and groans were not in vain.

Latest posts

Back