Pyrography kits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joiner_sim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
With my birthday coming up soon and nobody knowing what to buy me, I've came up with the idea of a pyrography kit. It's something I've glanced at and think I'd like to try. But not knowing what a decent iron should have or do and many different prices from shops and eBay..... I'm looking to you guy for advice on what I should ask for. Thanks for any info.

I help out at a Community Workshop and they do a lot of pyrography there. Personally I think it is the work of the devil, but it is very popular, I cannot deny. We have a number of Peter Childs machines and they always perform as they should.
S

My personal recommendation would be a Davan Pyrography Machine. I've used mine continuously for over 10 years and am very pleaased with it. It's cheaper than other machines (apart from the very basic type), comes with 2 pens so that you can have 2 different points ready for use by toggling the switch between the 2. The pens do not get too hot to handle and the temperature control is very good. All in all it's a great little machine.

It's not available online as the maker is a retired electronics engineer who makes them in his home workshop in North Wales. If you're interested, email me ([email protected]) and I will send you some information and a Price List / Order Form. I should point out that I'm not on commission <BG> but just think that this is a really good machine.

Regards

Lesley

Unfortunately Janik machines are no longer made and I must say that the one I had was not particularly good. The pen got so hot that I could only use it for 10 minutes at a time. It was the same type as the one linked to above, a solid point. I had to let the point cool down before unscrewing them from the pen - not good when you're in full flow <BG>

Thanks for all the advice guys. I do see that the high end machines are very good, however I am unsure if I will be doing much. This is the start of a new skill for me and as its only going to be as a bday present I've opted for a cheap and cheerful axminster entry level tool with the solid screw in tips. Have also ordered extra tips pack and a book to get me started. It arrived today, with axminster printed on the delivery label. I resisted the temptation to open it up and have a look but, it was hard! Will have to wait now until 20th July to recieve it and have a go!

I am hoping this will be the start of a new area of woodworking for me, but shall have to wait and see on the results I can achieve!

Latest posts

Back