Pyrography kit advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martlewis

Established Member
Reaction score
Am looking at buying a pyrography kit to start wood burning for my daughter. She is very creative and wants to do some desibns on wooden box lids. Has anyone got any recommendations without spending a great deal please?

I have a very basic one like the Lidl one, and I'd recommend it as a starting point for a beginner.

It's not the most comfortable thing to hold, and can be tricky to control (as there's no temperature control), but it's good enough to give you an idea of whether you'd like to get into it a bit more.

I use a Peter Child jobbie. I realise that this would mean an investment significantly more than the Lidl one, but is built got the job and capable of excellent work. There is always a risk in starting with a device that may not achieve the expected results and therefore not generate enthusiasm for the task or develop skills. The upside is that the device is very saleable if she doesn't take to it. One thing I have found is that using the right tips can hugely effect the outcome. I have bent the nichrome wire and shaped with pliers as suggested in the instructions, but realy made a quantum leap in the use of the tool after talking to Bpb Neild at the Turners Retreat bash earlier this year. Bob imports and sells the Razortip tips from America. These are much more than bent wire and transform the woodturning experience. The writing tips have a tiny ball welded to the tip and write much like a ball pen. (With a little practice), and seem to glide over the wood in a way that my wire squeezed tips never did. I can't recommend them enough. Hope this helps.

Honest John":hk8i4dx4 said:
I use a Peter Child jobbie. I realise that this would mean an investment significantly more than the Lidl one, but is built got the job and capable of excellent work. There is always a risk in starting with a device that may not achieve the expected results and therefore not generate enthusiasm for the task or develop skills. The upside is that the device is very saleable if she doesn't take to it. One thing I have found is that using the right tips can hugely effect the outcome. I have bent the nichrome wire and shaped with pliers as suggested in the instructions, but realy made a quantum leap in the use of the tool after talking to Bpb Neild at the Turners Retreat bash earlier this year. Bob imports and sells the Razortip tips from America. These are much more than bent wire and transform the woodturning experience. The writing tips have a tiny ball welded to the tip and write much like a ball pen. (With a little practice), and seem to glide over the wood in a way that my wire squeezed tips never did. I can't recommend them enough. Hope this helps.

Hi

I bought this one earlier in the year to get me started and it's been fantastic so far. I'd recommend it as a good place to start!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antex-Craft-Pyr ... pyrography

Latest posts

Back