Push button timer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I plan to make a DIY air filter along the lines of DaveL's. Recommendations seem to be to run it for a couple of hours when you leave the workshop so I'm looking for a push button timer or similar. Trouble is I'm drawing a blank for anything remotely economical. They all also seem to suggest that they're not suitable for fans.

Any suggestions?

You could get a few circuit boards bits from Maplins and an online plan and build your own. I built a timer when I was in GCSE System and Controls back when I was 15, I did burn myself with the soldering Iron quite a few times but par for the course!

Rog - I just use a plug in electronic timer from one of the sheds to regulate the on/off cycle. It comes on for about four hours in the evening at 9pm and a couple of times during the day - Rob

Rob...I can see the reasoning but if it comes on later than when you finish, hasn't the airborne dust had time to settle? Guess you use something similar to what Luke suggested?

Chems - I did start thinking about that approach as it would have been fun to get back into electronics but....

I had a lightbulb moment and I think that the plug-in timer that Rob and Luke use is the way forward if I can get one that I can easily set-up a two(say) hour on/off time and can easily spin the clock round by hand so that the last thing I do when I leave the workshop is to spin it round until it clicks on. Doesn't matter if the thing never shows the correct time as it's not what I'm after. Job done. A manual override would be useful as well.

RogerS":l9dom67h said:
Rob...I can see the reasoning but if it comes on later than when you finish, hasn't the airborne dust had time to settle? Guess you use something similar to what Luke suggested?
I normally finish in the 'shop anyway around 9ish but it also comes on twice during the day anyway for an hour each time. I know it's picking up stuff 'cos the filter's usually always pretty claggy - Rob

Have a look at ebay item number 120410675369 this is the one i commonly fit for hot water heaters but can be used for most things that require a timer upto 16 amp.

The clock can be set to go on and off upto 3 different programmes, it also has the boost button on the front that when pressed once = 30mins, twice = 1 hour and third time = 2 hour and shuts off after the selected time.

There is also this item number 350198735624 which is the same clock but only simpler, it only has the boost button with the three selectable programmes, but for some reason this one is much dearer but has less to it :?

Both these have a flex outlet at the bottom so you could put it in the place of a single socket or spur off the ring for it.

Back