Pure camellia or Axminster style blend?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeathRobinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just started upgrading to more expensive planes and would like to look after them. My old record would often rust despite me keeping it indoors in the cupboard under the stairs.

I've dismissed paste wax as a bit of a faff and the WD40 I used to use on my record clearly didn't work very well. So I'm looking at the camellia oils. I quite like that they're natural and of plant origin.

I remember that Axminster's camellia is in fact a blend of paraffin wax, camellia oil and another ingredient that I cannot recall. Is this somehow better than the plain camellia oil that is sold by everyone else?

I doubt it makes much odds to anyone here really but I thought I'd ask as I'm a bit stubbornly particular about getting small decisions like this correct.

Thanks,

Simon

Simon - I use the stuff from Axminster on my planes and it works well...don't forget also to order the applicator bottle with the wick in it as it makes putting a smear of the stuff in the right places a little easier...more economical use of the Camilla oil as well - Rob

I have been buying Camellia Oil for a number of years now from various tool suppliers and all the stuff I have had has been a blend?
I have not tried Camellia Tree Oil from Health Food shops so that might be concentrated?
The applicator that Rob suggests is a must.

You will find that over time the film seems to dry off (I do not know if the protection is still there?) but I always carryout periodic checks and give another quick application.
Having inherited lots of rusty tools from my father I am paranoiac about rust!
Must switch on my low wattage heaters! :)

Rod

Latest posts

Back