Purchased blanks ... any comeback ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexx

Established Member
Reaction score
I havent been at this lark long, and cant really afford to buy loads of blanks, I turn alot of Ash and Blackthorn, because I have it close at hand and with some of my more rustic turnings don't mind the odd crack or split.

I got gifted a few blanks Elm, Sweet Chestnut and a few others by a good friend from a very reputable supplier in N.Ireland, and purchased a few myself Cherry and Spalted Beech as a treat for getting off the fags from another supplier also in N.I.

I was turning a nice bit of Cherry but as I got into the heart of it, felt quite wet and subsequently has developed some fine cracks, the spalted beech from the same supplier had a small crack almost thru the centre which I managed to turn off, and left it on the lathe overnight, next day crack was back and getting bigger, its now scrap, or more likely some small boxes.

I threw the sweet Chestnut from the other supplier on the lathe this morning, and when I true'd it up noticed some major cracks at both ends that I'm not sure I can correct without loosing alot of depth.

I take it I just have to bite the bullet, and my lip, should I be leaving these longer, I assumed that they would be ready to turn off the shelf, buying a moisture meter as soon as funds allow, but assuming that I have no comeback with regard to the dryness of these purchased blanks ?

I bought some blanks(mostly spalted beech) from a N.I. supplier via ebay but have not turned any yet hope I dont have the same problem, in your case living locally I would have thought you can go back to your supplier.
Alan

It might be worth mentioning it to the supplier. I think specifically the lack of dryness because purchased blanks are typically bought with the assumption they're seasoned unless specified otherwise. So unseasoned wood is a bit of a con because you're paying to speed up the lengthy drying process.

With hidden cracks in the heartwood....no so much. Its a natural product and a certain amount of defects are kind of par for the course with much turnery. Generally speaking when I view commercially available blanks they have little or no visible cracks and should certainly be dry enough to turn. So perhaps a polite word with the supplier to "encourage" him/her to live up to the expectation of his side of the bargain.

Sounds like the blanks had not dried out fully I am trying to get green logs and process them myself at the moment and I still have a lot to learn in that department

The cracking in the Sweet chestnut was hidden under the wax, couldnt see anything till I true'd it, very dissappointed, as the previous blanks I turned from that supplier (2) were fine, hopefully just a one off.

The Cherry however and the spalted beech had no heartwood, and once I got a couple of inches in to the cherry blank I knew I was in trouble, almost felt damp to the touch.

I do not want to name the suppliers for obvious reasons, but will talk to them politely about the problems i've had, I just didn't know if I was expecting too much :(

Spalted Beech.jpg

Visable cracks on the back RHS
Cherry.jpg

Attachments

• Cherry.jpg
    Cherry.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 934
  • Spalted Beech.jpg
    Spalted Beech.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 934
In terms of water content you're right to expect the wood to be seasoned. The cracks, have a go but you might get more of an argument with that one. Worth a try though, cos these things aren't cheap.

There was no mention of it and certainly the Sweet chestnut was from a wood turning shop, off the self, and I may have saved it by changing the style, its still on the lathe, so i'll see what it looks like in the morning, the other supplier was via Ebay and again nothing in the listing, will be holding off turning anything else from them until I find out what the craic is.

I agree with most of what Bob says and IF the place you got them from is protective of their reputation you MAY get a decent response from them but there are so many variables here. Cherry is notorious for splitting at the slightest provocation and wood will absorb / lose moisture even when waxed if your workshop is damper/ dryer than the shop you get it from. etc etc
but feeling damp in the middle....... no, purchased blanks should be drier than that.

Lexx":ghnel0wo said:
There was no mention of it and certainly the Sweet chestnut was from a wood turning shop, off the self, and I may have saved it by changing the style, its still on the lathe, so i'll see what it looks like in the morning, the other supplier was via Ebay and again nothing in the listing, will be holding off turning anything else from them until I find out what the craic is.

The fact it was from e bay has caused me to begin to lose the will to live in terms of feeling positive about your chances of a favourable response. But.......have a go...nothing ventured as they say.

Most decent wood suppliers will not deliberately sell wood that is split without stating so. However, wood is a natural material that will react worth any change in temperature and humidity and that can vary from one location to another or even time of the year. Kiln dried wood is only 'dry' when it comes out of the kiln and once stored will revert to the ambient moisture level of the area. If it is kiln dried in say Cornwall it will become wetter when stored than say in the middle of London. I am not sure that any dealer will class it as a faulty product but worth a try....good luck. Be interested to hear how you get on.

Pete

Hi

I realise this is bolting the door after the horse has left but I would always recommend buying stock at first hand, it's the only way you are able to assure yourself of what you're purchasing.

Find a local supplier or two and cultivate them, it will save you money and grief in the long run - one of my suppliers involved 110 mile round trip but the service I received more than made up for the time and fuel.

Regards Mick

I would agree with Mick. Also buy wood in planks rather than pre cut blanks, it is cheaper, you can see the wood more clearly and also cut to the size that you want.

Pete

I've never purchased actual blanks, other than pen blanks, but would not be a happy camper if they were split or wet under the wax. As has been said though, wood is unpredictable.
I go to a community woodland about 20 miles from home, and to a couple of local tree surgeons for boards/slabs of wood. I know I can inspect the wood before I buy, and have much more choice on how to divide the boards up. All can tell me exactly when the wood was cut and it is air dried rather than kiln dried.

You see I was thinking along the lines of what Pete said, its wood, it has a mind of its own, and I expect movement, and irregular characteristics, tho its the dampness of the pieces that bothers me, I bought these to turn immediately as the 3 Ash trees I dropped are about 6 months to a year away from being fit to turn.

Although I bought the blanks off ebay, I picked them up as they are local-ish and had a real good look before handing over the hard earned, the supplier was really good to deal with in person, so i'm hopeful that we'll get some sort of resolution, I havent seen anywhere locally that sells planks, but i've put the word out to some local tree surgeons stating my interest in anything they drop thats fit fer turning.

Just had a look at the current victim on the lathe ... seems stable with just a minor crack 1/4" long that should go, and will be giving it a turn this morning when I get my coffee (off this week, don't usually get this much time in the workshop :) ).

I'm just about to drop an email to the Cherry/Beech supplier, i'll post an update when I get a response.

Thanks again guys

Bottom line is that if the supplier is a decent human being then the medium through which he markets his service should be irrelevant. And the wet issue should certainly test that. Personally I would want to speak to the supplier. The trouble with e mail is its too sterile, there's no emotion vested in it and its too easy for him to just say no whereas live dialogue engages more of the senses, hopefully including the one of fair play.

Lexx":1xnjy7ef said:
.....Just had a look at the current victim on the lathe ... seems stable with just a minor crack 1/4" long that should go, and will be giving it a turn this morning .........

Try not to leave items part turned on the lathe, you will always be better off if you can finish turn to final thickness in one go.

The wood is bound to move to some extent and if there is a moisture gradient across the blank then you are at more risk if left for long periods.

Pieces partially wet turned to speed drying and put on one side will distort as much as 10% of the diameter dependant upon wood species and it is essential that you rough them out in one session and keep the wall thickness as even as possible.

If you leave a 'problem' blank on the machine overnight with uneven thicknesses then natural drying and stress relieving are likely to increase the chance of natural faults propagating. In emergency some folks cover the piece in cling film overnight to counteract this, but best option is to avoid the need if at all possible.

Back