Public Events

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
If you exhibit your furniture at public events you quickly realise this is par for the course,

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... ffin-essex

I had a pretty little writing desk on display once at a county show, I'd popped out and when I came back a family was gathered around it with their burgers and chip lunch, complete with greasy wrappers, ketchup sachets and coke cans, dumped on the top.

I heard from an exhibitor at another show about the time he saw a mother wiping the face of a toddler and then disposing of the wet wipe in the drawer of a conveniently placed exhibit...I guess it's a relief it was the toddler's face that got wiped.

Hey ho.

The philosophy for exhibitions has always been that I must be able to accept what ever it is will be broken or stolen. If I can't accept that I don't put in out there. It's always amazes me what the public will do.

A friend who used to exhibit and sell car paint restoring products had so much stolen that he took to having 'display stock' that was actually paint stripper. He had a nice big label on each tin stating' display product only contents are toxic do not use'.........didn't stop it being stolen!!

work in a furniture store, you quickly find out how horrible people are.
including use of fake toilets
use of towels for poo cleaning
finding a quite corner for a poo
nappies inserted in unusual locations (like behind draws)
you get the picture, people are horrible and are best left well alone.

custard":3ciaj6to said:
If you exhibit your furniture at public events you quickly realise this is par for the course,

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... ffin-essex
Long ago I visited Egypt, did the obvious (and very old...) tourist spots.

An Italian guy, who evidently thought his girlfriend was beautiful (which is reasonable, for a boyfriend) and who fancied himself as a photographer, got his girlfriend to climb onto a 4000 year old statue for a picture. :shock:

Our (Egyptian) tour guide went nuts.

BugBear

So now it's going to be covered. :(

As is the case for most things, there is always someone who will spoil it for others.

@novocaine

Good lord. Can you expand on the fake toilets thing? .. do you mean they used the display toilet pans?

transatlantic":2xqy0akn said:

As is the case for most things, there is always someone who will spoil it for others.

@novocaine

Good lord. Can you expand on the fake toilets thing? .. do you mean they used the display toilet pans?

I saw a kid do that in B&Q, hard to get annoyed really, he wasn't very old and the little mock ups they do are very convincing.

Not as disgusting as some other things, but I spent years doing maintenance in a hotel and must have repaired hundreds of chairs, tables and beds - not once did I come across one without chewing gum stuck under it. Why??? I can only presume they all do it at home.

transatlantic":3f67uzze said:

@novocaine

I do indeed, I would love to tell you it was a little kid, it wasn't, we had the CCTV footage.
complete room sets, with sink, toilet, bath, st out to look like a bathroom because we sold the furniture that goes around it all, gentleman of middle age, turns, reclines, drops, looks annoyed, reaches for towel as there isn't a real toilet roll on the holder (although there is a price tag), finishes up, leaves towel of floor and strolls out like nothing has happened. ever wondered why, when you lift the loo seat in a certain large box furniture store of swedish origin there is a signed glued in stating it's not real?

well now you know.

as for the display and pan, it went in the compactor that night, warts and all after being wrapped in shrink wrap for transit from the "location of defecation"

Kalimna":1tr1lkm9 said:
BB - I am assuming a slight typo, as a '400' year old Egyptian statue isnt, well, all that old :)

Adam
Didn't happen, nothing to see, don't know what you're talking about. :-"

BugBear (off for a quick edit)

novocaine":1r7btcde said:
transatlantic":1r7btcde said:

@novocaine

I do indeed, I would love to tell you it was a little kid, it wasn't, we had the CCTV footage.
complete room sets, with sink, toilet, bath, st out to look like a bathroom because we sold the furniture that goes around it all, gentleman of middle age, turns, reclines, drops, looks annoyed, reaches for towel as there isn't a real toilet roll on the holder (although there is a price tag), finishes up, leaves towel of floor and strolls out like nothing has happened. ever wondered why, when you lift the loo seat in a certain large box furniture store of swedish origin there is a signed glued in stating it's not real?

well now you know.

as for the display and pan, it went in the compactor that night, warts and all after being wrapped in shrink wrap for transit from the "location of defecation"

but but ..but .. it takes time. How did no one see?

novocaine":cy0ztz9j said:
Throw away Britain ! Couldn't you have cleaned it and given it away ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

@transatlantic
I have no idea how nobody saw him do it, I'm guessing people did but decided to ignore it, why a member of staff didn't see it, again, no idea.
@ColeyS1
Official line, "we did not know the origin of the sample in the pan, we could not, without extensive investigation guarantee the health or safety of any individual in receipt of the offending item" or, no member of staff was willing to scoop it out.

Madness ! You chucked out a brand new toilet cause it got used what it was designed for. Bunch of fairies :lol:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

normally, when it's used for it's intended purpose it has liquid in the basin, which aids tremendously with the cleaning of said pan, remove that and it becomes decidedly more difficult to get to places needing cleaning. whilst it had never been used for its intended purpose, I fear that the term "new" may not have applied, fixtures and fittings were typically reused across room sets, couldn't tell you the age of it though.

but yes, bunch of fairies, can't argue with you on that one, I was only following orders officer, I was but a plucky young laddo. :)

Apparently my younger cousin, now in her late 38's, did this at about three or so. She still gets reminded of it even now :)

People are disgusting, on youtube there's video of all sorts of things going on. OK you might be busting for the toilet but that gives no reason to that.

However, I have been told when I have asked on several occasions that there are no available toilets for public use, not even when I have made it quite clear of my need, in VERY plain language, so there is a flipside to this in some instances.

Back