Projects for a beginner who lives in a flat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bare minimum for virtually all woodworking. is a method of holding the lump of wood firmly while you saw it, chisel it, plane it or just hit it. I still have a corner vice which clamps to a table top, which I was given for Christmas when I was about 16. Providing that you protect the table top from damage from the clamp grips, this should get you started. I think that Axminster still has this in their catalogue, but I don't know what they now cost.
Alternatively, a piece of 1" ply, clamped to a table top with a couple of cheap cramps, and with two thin battens screwed to the ply at right angles, should give you an angle against which to hold the workpiece to carry out quite a number of operations, and will give you a taste at very little cost, so that you can find if this addiction is for you.
If you don't have a table, or not one which is solid, a piece of ply, say mimimum 1" thick, and about 3'x2', and a couple of the plastic trestles from the usual DIY sheds, could work, and will pack away after use. Some of these trestles are pretty flimsy, so make sure you have a good look, push/pull, before you buy.
Then vise and/or battens as above.
Good luck - let us know how you get on.
Mike

"Mate Tools"? Long, long, ago I ticked a box in a woody mag to get information for the newly designed tools by Mate. I seem to remember the original leaflet had only two, possibly three, tools. The Work Mate was one, of course, but I cannot remember the others.
I have a B&D version form the late 70's, no footplate. I have used the double height models but cannot get on with them. To get around instabilities in use I bolt it to the floor, temporarily in the garage. I previously used various concrete blocks to add weight. The bolt I use is made from 6mm studding passing through a long block of wood straddling the lower rails. The other end is into an expansion nut in the floor.
xy

bugbear":2m3ugkry said:
Have you seen a "Mate Tools" Workmate (i.e. the mk 1, even before B&D got it) ?

:D

BugBear

Bought mine new from Mate Tools 44 years ago. Still in regular use and virtually as good as new :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Mg88
I live in a one bedroom flat also, but have occasional access to a very basic workshop where i use my own hand tools, as there is no machinery available.
I work primarily with veneers which i apply to boxes that I pick up at markets or car boot sales .
The tools and materials are relatively cheap, and all can be found on Ebay.
I don't make any money on any of the items I make, as I give the finished product to friends and family, and do it merely as a hobby, as you intend to.
I have posted a few photos of a couple of my attempts to show what can be achieved on a tight budget in limited space .
Good luck

Simon

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 470
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 470
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 470
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 470
Good grief Simon, that's stunning!

Amazing what can be achieved without access to a workshop.

I must admit I've always fancied an original workmate.

Thanks very much for your kind words Pete & Matthew.
I am aware that parquetry design isn't everyone's 'cup of tea', but personally, I feel a great amount of satisfaction of what can be achieved with a steel rule, craft knife, set square and tape.

Cheers

Simon

Latest posts

Back