Project for advice/hints.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Made a rattle today, with 2 captive rings using a parting tool and spindle gouges. I used a piece of iroko, and was wondering principally whether I could pick your brains for finishing recommendations? I've sanded to 240 and used sanding sealer (toy safe!) so far, but was just wondering if it could be improved in a toy safe way.

Other issues I encountered, which is good for learning, include the foolish non-incorporation of waste at the ends, so I've got marks from the tailstock and headstock turning centres. Also, the captive rings are the devil to sand on the inside! I did the outside before releasing them but tried taping the abrasive down and everything but still not just satisfied with it.

Any thoughts and help greatly appreciated!

Brian.

Attachments

• rattle.JPG
    rattle.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 996
re the sanding the inside of the rings - i use a long thin strip of abrasive , maybe 1cm x 10cm threded through the ring and with the lathe on slow run the abrasive in and out (like drying your butt with a towel). with the correct pressure and speed the ring will slowly rotate and the natural curve of the abrasive will round the back of the ring. takes a little practice but does work :)

Personally, I wouldn't use iroko or other exotic woods for a child's rattle - mainly because these woods are known to cause allergy problems for some people who work with them and you can't be too careful with something a child will put in it's mouth. I'd stick to woods like beech and sycamore which are often used for kitchen ware applications and the preparation of food (wooden spoons, rolling pins, etc).

In terms of finish, I'd use a "food safe" finish (as the child will put the rattle in it's mouth) - of which the best I've found recently is Osmo "Top Oil" which is not only food safe, but very durable and water resistant as well.

As to the sanding of the insides of captive rings, can't help you as I've never made any!

I too sometimes leave the centre marks on the ends of a piece - depending on what it is : for a tool handle, ok, for a jewellry quality hairstick not ok.

I reinforce Kym's warning about Iroko (it looks very pale for iroko), would not allow a child to handle it.
The dust can cause asthma, dermatitis and nettle rash, I believe it's not so much the dust itself but the pathogens it carries.

It does not rot readily and not subject to pest damage, says a lot for its built in defence system.
Beech and sycamore on the other hand will rot readily and will provide a good home to many wood boring pests, good indication for safe use free of natural adverse chemicals.

You don't have to hang around for long to get some help! I hadn't thought of the impact of using that species, now my bubble is well and truly burst. But I know I can do it! (I have 5 more sticks of "iroko" to play with - maybe dibbers or something similar?) I'd known some species have allergens in them but thought that they were rare enough as reactions. Judging by the replies I'd best keep it as a show piece. There's no way to seal it to keep in the badness?

The best way to sand the inside of the rings is to wrap the abrasive around the stew of the rattle from front to back spin the lathe on a slow speed and turn the ring on to it like a bobbin sander and beech is an ideal wood for rattle hope this helps happy turning

Hello,

Iroko (Milica excelsa, syn. Chlorophora excelsa) is used for medical purposes in Africa. The plant contains chlorophorin, a natural phenol. This substance could cause different, and sometimes severe, allergic reactions. The best woods for children's toys are maples, birch, pear. All woods contain more or less ethereal oils, gums, resins, of which more than a few are allergenic or toxic. Walnuts, cherry, beech, laburnum, black locust, coniferous trees etc. are not suitable for making toys for small children.

The best finish is no finish at all. Wet sand the wood to P400 and leave it bare. Apart from that, pharmaceutical grade paraffin oil and paraffin wax, food grade shellac and bees wax are the most suitable finishes.

Have a nice day,

János

I am one of the lucky ones who isn't affected by iroko but I still avoid it as I know a few people who get really ill from it. For anything to do with children or food stuffs stick with safe woods such as sycamore, beech or local woods such as hazel or hawthorn. Laburnum and yew are also big no no's for this sort of thing despite what some people say.

Pete

Latest posts

Back