Producing Thin Materials

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
I am busy making a couple of Dolls Houses for the Grand Daughters and was a bit shocked when pricing up the Obeche sheets recommended for the doors, windows, staircases, coving, skirting etc.

I've got lots of scrap bits of hardwood but was wondering what was the best and safest way of producing 1.5mm and 3mm thick pieces, maximum 75mm wide - BS, P/T, TS ???

Also does anybody know the different properties of acrylic and polyester sheeting - both available in thin sheets?

Rod

hi rod

I have no knowledge of doll house making, so im not sure how much help im going to be, but here i go anyway :D

I would thiness a piece of wood to the right wide, you said about 75 wide and thickness depending on what stock you have available and how much you need, lets say 40 ish from some 2 inch stock.

Then once all squared id cut a strip off with the BS at a bit under 4mm for the 3mm option. Then thickness again at the smaller size and repeat until its all in 4mm strips with 3 planed sides and one band sawn rough. Does that make sense?

Then you could either put them through the thicknesser at 3mm if you think it would do it without eating them alive, (which i think it would) but worth a try with one. Or use the router table with a stepped feather board. Do you know what i mean by that? because otherwise i think we'll need a drawing to expain it :D

But as an alternative, could you not use 3mm and 1.5mm ply or MDf?

Luke

BB could you elaborate on these DIY kits for creating thin stock as it is something I have wanted to do for ages

gasman":1kasjfh9 said:
BB could you elaborate on these DIY kits for creating thin stock as it is something I have wanted to do for ages

There's a company called 'Stockroom Supply' that sells an excellent DIY drum sander. http://www.stockroomsupply.com/V_Drum_Sander.php

All you would need to do is add a hold down/thickness top to sand stock down to whatever size you want.

There are plenty of videos on youtube showing home made drum sanders. We had a Ukulele maker on this forum a while back who had and used one to nice effect.

If you cut strips on your TS, beware of the increased risk of kickback, due to the flexibilty. Use a short fence and a jig like
this one.

Better still, use a well-set up bandsaw.

Cheers
Steve

I managed to get my super little INCA to do this with a Freud blade no problem at all:

DSC_0036.JPG

Thin enough?

DSC_0039.JPG

That is oak by the way....

Not sure if it will cut 3" inches like that though! :lol:

Jim

If you have a bobbin sander you can jig it up to do thin strips. Obviously you are limited to twice the length of the loadings (or a tad less to be safe).

If you are going to run thin stock through a thicknesser, put it on a substrate of the same width first. I have used d/s carpet tape in the past, and had good results, with the material being thicknessed staying put.

HTH
John
:)

I've gon downt to 3-4mm on a thicknesser with fairly good results on oak walnut, chestnut, maple, box - making spatulas

Back