Problems with my router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kell

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought this router from B&Q a while back and finally got round to using last weekend. only for some reason I cant seem to get the chuck to hold in the router bit. I thought I may have made a rookie error and bought the wrong bit size but I've definately got the right size. I go to tighten the large nut as far as it would go but the bit isn't even lightly gripped in place. I think I might be missing a bit so have attached photos, if anyone has any suggestions they'd be greatly received!

IMGP1431.jpg

IMGP1430.jpg

IMGP1429.jpg

You are using the right size router bits?? You may have an 8mm collet fitted in the router and quarter inch bits

I've zapped the pictures a bit, to make them more viewable. As someone said, are you sure its a 1/4 inch collet not 8mm?

Can you check in someone else router? friend / colleague?

74667225.jpg

74667227.jpg

74667228.jpg

Are you sure the collet is pushed fully into the nut? I have to give mine a really good shove to get them to fully engage in the nut.

Adam

Hmmm,

Sounds like you have a machine with an 8mm collet (European Standard) and are using a 1/4" (6.35mm) shank cutter (UK & USA Standard, yes I know we are supposed to be metric since 1971 :))

Try a 1/4" collet with your cutter or

an 8mm shank cutter with your collet

HTH

andy@trend

Back