Problem with lathe - switch?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dino

Established Member
Reaction score
I've uploaded a video of the issue.

When I press the power button there is a buzzing (which I am certain is some form of electrical crackling as I can see sparks on the connectors). The button doesn't stay down and the power goes off when I release it, the spindle spins though.

Any suggestions?

It's that simple, good! Now just a case of finding a replacement switch.

Thanks guys. It's my first lathe and I've only had it about a week, was worried it would be expensive.

I was worried about the dimensions of that one, I'll measure it up later. I've already checked the SIP site too. Just got to make sure they're compatible.

Thanks for all the help.

Dino":29o4kre2 said:
It's that simple, good! Now just a case of finding a replacement switch.

Thanks guys. It's my first lathe and I've only had it about a week, was worried it would be expensive.

If you have had the lathe for only a week go back to the supplier, it should be replaced FOC?

Peter.

Bought second hand Peter, so I don't think I can do that haha

Didn't work, but I actually see the fault now (I think).

The white plastic bit that comes out when I press the power on should stay out until the off button is hit, but it's not staying. I'll try to fix it in the morning, otherwise I'll order a new one.

Dino":33tp6p54 said:
Didn't work, but I actually see the fault now (I think).

The white plastic bit that comes out when I press the power on should stay out until the off button is hit, but it's not staying. I'll try to fix it in the morning, otherwise I'll order a new one.

Sounds like the nylon latch inside the switch is broken. Non-repairable I'm afraid.

Damn. That's a shame. I'll take a look at it tomorrow in any case but replacing it shouldn't cost too much, which is good.

Please keep us updated as to progress with the switch, we do not want you to get withdrawal symptoms from not turning!

I feel sure that if you suffer further there is bound to be someone on here who can help?

Regards, Peter.

Dino,

I seem to recall having a similar issue on a switch where some dust or chippings had got in the switch somehow, which when cleaned sorted it out. I can't quite remember though and I'm second guessing myself given that are maybe sealed to prevent ingress????

I'm pretty sure that CPC do nvr switches cheaper than axminster as my Father was looking at Christmas time. Can't fault axminster though, I had one from them a couple of years ago and has worked fine.

Chris

I got home very late tonight and lost the light so I can't play around with it today.

I'll do it tomorrow in the morning before work, then decide if I need to order a new switch. I'm still not sure on the dimensions (I'll measure tomorrow).

I just picked up turning and...I'll be honest I really want to turn haha. It's very fun. So hopefully I'll be able to get back to it by the weekend.

Good news! Kind of... I cleaned the switch out this morning, plugged it back in and it works! Very slight buzz as the button is pressed but it stays engaged and the lathe turns fine which means...I get to turn tonight!

Back