Primary Bevel angle.............diamond stones???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to have one of those old singer treadles - gave it to my brother-in-law to use as a garden table. About time I got it back, I think :-k :D

Paul

Thanks everyone for all your comments!

Well firstly to answer a few of your questions, I already only hone my secondary bevel a very small amount (about quarter of a mm)
and normally re-hone my primary bevel about every 4 hones of my secondary bevel, so I am glad to hear I'm doing something right? :wink:

Another reason for not wanting to go down the grinding wheel road is that my uni don't really look after they grinding wheels very well.
It looks to me like they hardly ever get dressed. And as for they tormek, the wheel is in a hell of a state? :? Thats another reason why
I was thinking of the diamond stone route - something portable that I can use both at home and at uni? :?

Thanks again guys

Nads

Hi Nads,

Given your circumstances and that you want something that will be portable, a diamond stone would seem to be a good choice. As you want it for metal removal rather than forming the final edge, I would suggest an extra coarse one. I use coarse, fine and extra fine DMT stones but often wish I had bought the extra coarse rather than the coarse one, which I use primarily for the sort of thing you are describing :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":2gtbjcn0 said:
...often wish I had bought the extra coarse rather than the coarse one, which I use primarily for the sort of thing you are describing
Yeah, me too. #-o

Cheers, Alf

burning a blade should be a rareity anyway, if you keep your fingers right near the edge.......I don't know anyone who likes it when then there fingers begin to burn.

There's a big jump in temp between your fingers burning and the blade burning.

Back