Preventative woodworm treatments ....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g.m.alexander

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've recently graduated to getting timber direct from a local saw mill, once dry (usually about 10% moisture max) I have been making various items of furniture for family and friends. to date I have been using random tins of woodworm timber treatment purchased from DIY and local merchants as I seem to be getting through this stuff quite quickly with varying results after finishing the timber (usually with wax oils)
I thought i'd ask other more skilled peoples opinions and preferences guidance welcomed .......

cheers Graham

Do the people you give the goods to have infestations of woodworm? No? Don't worry about it. In nearly fifty years of making bits and pieces of furniture and turnery I've seen any need to use anything at all. If others have houses full of worm, they should be worried about it. Welcome, btw.

Thanks for the reassurance, none of the family have infestations as far as I know, but it would be just my luck ..... (that should that be family's homes?)

cheers

Ahem,

Don't just check the house have a look at the surroundings. I live in the Forest of Dean and there is plenty of timber around for woodworm to survive in their natural habitat outdoors. Another possible source is wood for the now fashionable log burner and stacked inside for that final drying off before use.

Tony Comber

According to wikipedia, woodworm only likes wood with a high moisture content:

Wikipedia":3i23lvgc said:
As the beetles evolved consuming dead wood in various forest habitats, most grubs, if not all, typically require that the wooden item contain a higher moisture content than is normally found in wooden items in a typical home.

A building with a woodworm problem in the structure or furniture probably/possibly also has a problem with excess damp. The issue could be lack of ventilation in a roof space, cellar or other enclosed space within an otherwise dry building.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodworm

Back