Preferred methods of fixing mistakes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Gent

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am fairly new to this woodworking lark, I have just finished at 2.3m x 0.9m work table for the missus in pine.

There are a couple of areas where there are some hairline gaps that I want to fill as they didn't quite turn out how I would have liked.

What is the best way to fill them, I don't want to paint the table and want to keep the finish pretty natural (oil and wax rather than a strong stain). What is the best way to do this:

- Any off the shelf filler?
- Saw dust and glue (if so what glue)
- Colour matched wax.

Any tips to help me correct my first gaffs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

personally I would use 2 pack filler of a shade to match the pine as close as possible. Theres a nifty trick to using this stuff for thin cracks and that is to use masking tape and mask up tight the edges off the crack so when you put the filler in the crack it fills only the crack and not the surrounding wood. Peel off the tape whilst the filler is still soft btw then light sand as required when filler is hard. The whole job will look tons neater as no filler will bleed into the surrounding wood (as mentioned)

Back