Preferred excess glue removal technique?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross K

Established Member
Reaction score
What I mean is that when you glue up (let's say with PVA - I use Titebond III most of the time), how do you remove any excess that squeezes out?

I tend to avoid putting too much on in the first place so that I get only a tiny line of beads squeezed out, then remove it very carefully when hard using a dog-leg/canted neck chisel.

I've always tried to avoid using a damp cloth as it tends to spread it around and then it shows up when you oil/Osmo.

Peeling the glue off with a chisel when it's only gum-hard is sometimes easier but not always possible.

I was in the workshop today gluing up an oak piece and I got too much glue on. As an experiment, for the first time in ages, I used a damp cloth to remove excess while it was still wet. I may regret it but it may save me time ultimately and it got me thinking how you guys and gals remove your excess glue.

Saying "I always put on the right amount" is not a viable answer!! :wink:

I tend to favour a CLEAN damp cloth after getting the worst off with an old but sharp chisel. ie regularly rinsed cloth during clean-up and don't get too much trouble when applying finish. I can wipe the old chisel with the cloth without worrying about rust.
For really critical areas or when I want to get plenty of glue on I either mask the area eg inside of dovetail drawers or apply the first coat of finish before glue up.

Bob

Didn't read the above post :roll:

I sometimes put masking tape across the places where squeeze out will show, still putting the minimum amount of glue to work. Then any that does will sit on the tape. Cascamite does not seem to show as much when wet wiped in my usage of it.

cabinet scraper while the glue is still wet then a clean damp cloth. Might try the new UV titebond when my current stock of titebond runs out. Has anyone actually used it - does it work?

Steve

Severial techniques here can be used. The one I favour most is to polish all interior surface before gluing...any glue squeeze out can then be removed with a Jap knife or similar when part set. The other method is to use a cut down 1/2" paint brush (almost like a stencil brush) which is applied to the joint barely wet in a sort of gentle scrubbing action...don't flood the area with water. You'll find that this is a pretty fool proof method all will remove all glue squeeze out - Rob

Whenever I've used a damp cloth to "remove" excess PVA, I've always managed to somehow make an even bigger mess! :roll: That's why I leave it until it's dry now. PVA can be scraped off with a chisel but cascamite's a real b*****d to remove; it takes the edge right off my card scrapers when I've got a large top to clean up.

I find a special sort of chisel best for removing the glue when it's still wet, it's called someone elses chisel!

An old credit/debit card, cut in half, is good for scraping off glue while it is still wet, without rubbing it into the wood. If any is left on the surface, I favour Rob's method of using a very stiff brush. However, with a bit of practice I find you can judge the amount of glue to use to avoid getting excessive squeeze-out.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I quite often use a very thin and flexible 6" steel rule to scrape the glue out of corners when still wet. Works very well.

The trouble with wet cloths is that you end up with gluey water everywhere, in the grain and so on, which sometimes makes more mess than you have cleaned up.

Cheers, Ed

I use an old cheap chisel to get most of it off and then a damp cloth. I think the secret is to make sure most of the glue is scraped off before using a damp cloth.

Chisel, when set to a (proper hard cheddar, with the nutty/salty little crystalline bursts in it, mmm cheddar) cheese-like texture for cascamite or pva. Or when totally set for PU.

Wet cloth - often finish pieces before glue up

If glue dries unnoticed on joined boards, i clean it off with a card scraper

A wet or damp cloth just smears the glue and doesn't get right into the corners...a brush will, but you need to keep on cleaning it in water and then drying it before use again - Rob

With the white glue, I usually use a damp cloth or a timber wedge, so scrape it away. But if I'm using cascamite, which is mainly what I use I get a tub of boiling hot water and just brush it off. If it's going to be a stained or clear finish, I will cover the whole job in the water as it will dry evenly then and wont come out of the timber in patches.

Latest posts

Back