PowerCap and Ear Defenders, How?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickT

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just received the PowerCap that I won on Ebay. It's great :D
However when trying to use ear defenders, theres a problem. They don't fit :( I can only wear them if the band for the defenders is on the back of my neck which I find uncomfortable, plus they keep sliding off.

I emailed JSP who make the things, and was told to use ear plugs. I hate ear plugs!!!

What do other PowerCap users do?

Rick...

I have no problems with mine. They just fit at full extension. Unfortunately, I don't know what brand they are, so can't help you there. Maybe you could take your powercap along to a supplier who has a few different brands and try some on.

Brad

Just had another thought--if your band is a basic flat plastic band, you could splice in another section of plastic to extend the band. Overlapping it and using duct tape would be the cheap and cheerful way. A more permanent way would be to use pop rivets. If you don't have a suitable piece of plastic, you could buy a dirt cheap pair of ear defenders just for the section of band.

Brad

Are you wearing normal ear defenders with the headband around the back of your neck? Have you tried neckband ear defenders like the Peltor ones second from left here. The wire goes around your neck in the orientation shown and holds the muffs on your ears from below. I use these all the time and don't even notice the wire at the back because it doesn't really touch my neck. I don't like headband types because the band irritates after a few hours.
Peltor used to do ones with a very thin webbing strap over your head and another around the back of your head. It would be no bother to wear a cap over them but I don't know if they still do them. This was the first site I came across when I Googled so other people may have a better range.

HTH

Rick,
It would have been more use if I had said I use the Peltor ones that Scott describes (with the thin band over the head) I got mine a few months ago from ARCO - an industrial clothing outfit near me.

Actually, thinking about it, I think my wire ones had a band over the head and I cut it off years ago cos it annoyed me!

RickT":29i6h11x said:
Hmmm, Thats a thought.

Thanks

Rick...

Not sure if you're being sarcastic. My suggestion may or may not work with the ear defenders you already have. But I was just thinking, if it would work; why waste the money you saved on the powercap, by spending a large portion of it on new ear defenders?

The suggestion may not be pretty--but if it works, why not?

Comfort of the band is not an issue either, as the band passes over the powercap.

Brad

Sorry, I honestly wasn't sure. At first, I took your comment at face value, but then I thought maybe you were being sarcastic. That's the problem, sometimes with e-communication--you can't determine tone from just a few words.

Brad

Latest posts

Back