Quantcast

Potential inlay help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

jim282

Reaction score
I am renovating my mother's 70-year-old bellyboard. I have sanded it down to remove all of the cracked varnish and other blemishes and I am now wondering what to do with it.

I would like to do an effect like in the attached image, but I am unsure how to do it.

Is it an inlay with a wood veneer, or is it just done with wood dye?

If it is an inlay, would I need to score the wood, then use a router before trying put in the veneer and try to sand it down without damaging it?

The wood is 9mm ply and it is 4 foot long by 1 foot wide and has a slight curve at the lip.

I would class myself as a keen amateur - certainly far from professional. Either way, I'll try the effect on a bit of old ply before attacking the bellyboard.

Does anyone have any ideas of how this is done and how I can do it bearing in mind I have a moderately well kitted out shed rather than a professional workshop?

Attachments

AJB Temple

Finely figured
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
If it is ply, I would imagine you can simply veneer another layer on top (after sanding obviously) in whatever pattern you wish. I would definitely try that in preference to routing the existing surface.

jim282

Reaction score
Ahh yes, I didn't think of that! That would be a lot easier than routing ply - thanks :)

jim282

Reaction score
So, bearing in mind I am going to be using this board in the salty sea water - should I stick the veneer down with some contact cement and then finish with some yacht varnish, or will I be able to use something like tung oil on the veneer?

AJB Temple

Finely figured
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
You must use a waterproof adhesive, and a system to press the veneer down and achieve a void free bond, then coat with at least a yacht varnish finish or epoxy. You would not want your hard work ruined by the salty sea.