Potassium permanganate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskywill

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems that apart from being used to stain wood, potassium permanganate can be used to cure athlete's foot.

This could be my saviour.

I have had athlete's foot between two toes on my right foot for at least six months despite using four different creams, two different powders, two different foot sprays, a two week course of prescription tablets and I'm now five weeks into an eight week course of the same tablets and it just stays the same. I will have a purple foot as soon as I can get some potassium permanganate.

It was probably my post you read somewhere. About 30yrs ago I had the secondary type of infection as well, where it travels under the skin and breaks out in blisters, and a family friend (a pharmacist) suggested I try it. It seemed to work for me - don't forget that you re- infect from your shoes and socks, it's a pig to beat.

phil.p":3ppp7256 said:
It was probably my post you read somewhere. About 30yrs ago I had the secondary type of infection as well, where it travels under the skin and breaks out in blisters, and a family friend (a pharmacist) suggested I try it. It seemed to work for me - don't forget that you re- infect from your shoes and socks, it's a pig to beat.

That is what mine were like. I showered twice a day and washed my feet another 2 or 3 times a day and tried every cream/powder without success. I found that using Mycol cream and powder together keeps it down to a minimum but I can't shift it completely. Luckily they don't smell.

I've always been worried about foot smell as my dads were and are awful. You smell his through his shoes :-& :-&

Bleach can work but don't blame me if your foot drops off. Have you consulted a dermatologist may be worth spending a few quid on one.

A pinch of Potassium permanganate crystals keeps water butts clear of larvae.

Its effectiveness depends on how much rain we get & how much the water gets churned up. Either way I only use a pinch twice each growing season.

Regards
Robbo

Before using pot permanganate , put Vaseline on toe nails or else they will turn black, also do not do on kitchen floor or will stain tiles permanently. I was relegated to garage with basin of water to steep my feet. Worked a treat

I appreciate that as you're now on a course of pills that you've probably seen the doc.

However, the reason I mention it is I had a stubborn bout of what I thought was athletes foot. No off-the-shelf remedy would shift it. It turns out I had eczema, and the correct cream cleared it up in no time.

Never had eczema before or since. Bizarre.

Try tea tree oil soap - it wont dye you purple, this was advice from a friend who lived in wellington boots as a nurse in Uganda (her other remedy involved urine !!)
Matt

whiskywill":2hmpptfr said:
It seems that apart from being used to stain wood, potassium permanganate can be used to cure athlete's foot.

This could be my saviour.

I have had athlete's foot between two toes on my right foot for at least six months despite using four different creams, two different powders, two different foot sprays, a two week course of prescription tablets and I'm now five weeks into an eight week course of the same tablets and it just stays the same. I will have a purple foot as soon as I can get some potassium permanganate.

I got rid of athlete's foot by cutting back on washing my feet to just once a week! 8) This gives the skin's natural anti-fungal properties chance. I also once tried the old-wives method, but all it did was make my feet smell of ammonia! :-" :-" :-"

Back