Post with drawn

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you're stirring up an argument just with this thread. Constructive criticism is always worth while. Debate is not a bad thing. Expressing ones personal taste is fine. But taking directed pot-shots at one another is a different matter.

(I know, I know... Do as I say, not as I do). :roll: :wink:

I personally think a newbie forum would be a nice addition, kind of like a UKW Nursery :)

However, I am not sure it will work very well. Some people on here stick to just the forums they are interested in. I tend to just press the view new posts link when I login. I think we'd just get a load of newbies sharing their own (lack of) experience in there.

I think the regulars have just become a bit bored answering the same old questions over and over. Who could blame them. I've left jobs for the same reason, without having it in my free time too :)

I've found myself answering posts that I had the answer to because I'd read it here or elsewhere just because there were 100 views with no reply. Now I am sure some of the people viewing would have known the answer. I think it's good to have a silent delegation of sorts, you can be sure if the wrong advice or a differing opinion is seen there will be another reply ;)

No doubt you will scare some off - some like myself will stick around picking out the useful and interesting posts and maybe asking the occasional question. That is pretty much the internet in a nutshell though IMO, don't like it move on and forget it!

Watching the posts where longer term members 'bristle' at one an other is entertaining as far as I am concerned - if you want to get hot under the collar over a few words with someone who means very little to you then so be it.

Life is more important than a cyber meeting room :wink:

Speaking just on the Newbie forum idea. It really wouldn't be a good idea. Those who consider themselves not a newbie might stop looking and as such you'd get a situation where posts don't get the full benefit of our (or your) collective intellect. Posting it all into the general forum means we all are pitching on a level playing field and, if we're all being nice to each other and grown up, everyone benefits. No one then should feel stupid about posting a question.

That's my theory anyway and I'm right. ;)

wizer":2lne8rts said:
Speaking just on the Newbie forum idea. It really wouldn't be a good idea. Those who consider themselves not a newbie might stop looking and as such you'd get a situation where posts don't get the full benefit of our (or your) collective intellect. Posting it all into the general forum means we all are pitching on a level playing field and, if we're all being nice to each other and grown up, everyone benefits. No one then should feel stupid about posting a question.

That's my theory anyway and I'm right. ;)

yep i agree with that too - a newbie forum would very quickly be viewed only be newbies leading to lots of unanswered questions - which imo is more likely to lead to people leaving than a bit of constructive criticism

also as to "why cant people just be nice" , if a newbie posts a peice of work which is, shall we say less than stellar, theres no point in just patting them on the head and giving mealy mouthed platitudes about how "nice" it is - as they wont learn anything unless the errors are pointed out and opinions on how it could have been done better given - of course this does need to be done in a positive and constructive way.

big soft moose":3v7kg7fn said:
if a newbie posts a peice of work which is, shall we say less than stellar, theres no point in just patting them on the head and giving mealy mouthed platitudes about how "nice" it is - as they wont learn anything unless the errors are pointed out and opinions on how it could have been done better given - of course this does need to be done in a positive and constructive way.

Yes. There's a whole world of difference between "that's rubbish" and "that would be better if..."

I know they're "only words", but then "I have a dream" was only words.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back