Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Playing with bowls for Christmas presents… padauk
IMG_8001.jpeg

IMG_8003.jpeg

IMG_8002.jpeg

Playing with bowls for Christmas presents… padaukView attachment 170220
View attachment 170221
View attachment 170222
That really is lovely. Whoever is the recipient, subtly advise them not to put it in a place where it’s not going to get blasted by the sun. I turned a load of apples and a bowlfor my mum. Theyve been exposed to sunlight constantly for a couple of years and the padauk and purple heart ones have gone not a no so nice shade of brown.

So I've used up what Laurel I have that's big enough for the bells, think I have 9 or 10, yesterday and today I started using some Hawthorn, made 5 bodies yesterday and another 5 today, managing to get them so thin that I can apply the wax on the inside and buff it off of the outside 😁😁😁 saturating with wax seems to be preventing them from warping. Tomorrow I'll make the handles and clappers for them, still trying to work out what to price them at for the Xmas fair next week, I'm thinking between £10 and £15 each
20231121_165802.jpg20231121_172516.jpg20231121_172554.jpg20231121_172604.jpg20231121_172608.jpg

Boy, I'm going to have to see if ive got some extra yellow cedar burl to send your way, they are looking awesome!
That would make gorgeous bells 😍😍😍😍 I start off with a piece around 2inch diameter and 3inches long, straight into the chuck and it just about gives me enough room to use the gouge at the top of the bell without constantly hitting the chuck, I can then make the ball/clapper with what's left once I part the bell off 😀
I'm going to use some of the magogony/iroko I have to make the handles, I like the contrast, the last 4 Laurel bells I made have cherry handles and the colours are similar and they don't look as good as the first ones I did with darker handles.

A few more gonks for christmas. Didn’t notice the centre dimple in the nose at first (it was the end of a long day at work). Combined tiredness/laziness didn’t fancy turning another so I’m calling it a ‘feature’. Some of the bobbles aren’t great either

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpeg
    IMG_0304.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A few more gonks for christmas. Didn’t notice the centre dimple in the nose at first (it was the end of a long day at work). Combined tiredness/laziness didn’t fancy turning another so I’m calling it a ‘feature’. Some of the bobbles aren’t great either
I love them

Latest posts

Back