Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can run to it the sets from Simon Hope are excellent. Drill driven arbors give the option of using them while the piece is stationary, which is good as often the tear you're trying to remove is only in a couple of places - where the tool has dug in as it hits the end grain at the bottom on the curve on the sides.
https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/sanding-items/sanding-box-sets/107/box-1-47mm-pro-sander-arbors.?c=32
I find the 37mm ones more useful - I have both sets - if you need the smaller set he will do one with the quick change arbor (it's not listed) if you email him. I wanted that because I already had the larger set with one.

Ditto what Phil said, with the bowl sander you don't tend to press as hard as you do by hand plus the scratch lines don't all go in one direction resulting in a better finish

I'd agree with it looking like Ash too.

We recently had a break in Rhodes and I picked up some of these acorn cups and seed pods to cast them in resin and turn pens from them. Although my wife loves this one I made from the seed pods, I wish I had done something different. If I find more (I don't think I've seen these in the UK), I'll sand a flat at the top and bottom so there will be no gaps between them when they go into the mould. I added UV fingerprint powder to the resin which is the green tinge and the last photograph is a close-up under ultraviolet light.

P1110810.jpg
P1110933.jpg
P1110936.jpg
P1110938.jpg

We recently had a break in Rhodes and I picked up some of these acorn cups and seed pods to cast them in resin and turn pens from them. Although my wife loves this one I made from the seed pods, I wish I had done something different. If I find more (I don't think I've seen these in the UK), I'll sand a flat at the top and bottom so there will be no gaps between them when they go into the mould. I added UV fingerprint powder to the resin which is the green tinge and the last photograph is a close-up under ultraviolet light.

View attachment 162752View attachment 162755View attachment 162757View attachment 162758.
These are absolutely gorgeous, I really must get myself a lathe one day.

You're welcome - and thanks to you for not only asking 'HOW' but actually bothering to take notice!

By selecting 'left' and then 'right' alignment, you can get two images side by side which is a great benefit overall to the forum.
I'll TRY and remember for next time.

Some advice please.
Started turning some Cedar and noticed this split opening up.
Now should I bin it, rough turn the inside and CA glue or wood hardener.
PXL_20230716_115218301.jpgPXL_20230716_115203689.jpg

Judging by the length and depth of that crack I would assign it to the firewood pile. It is likely to disintegrate at speed and for a lump of cedar not worth the risk.

I attempted a 2nd bowl on the lathe yesterday, needless to say it didn't go well and I ended up catching the sides of the bowl and breaking some of it away. At least I think that's what happened. The piece went onto the firewood pile.

A day off today and I didn't want to admit defeat, so the broken bowl was retrieved from the burn pile. I tried texturing the inside (which had bad end grain tearout) with a carving gouge, but with the sides being as they are,I couldn't get a reasonable angle. Next was the Dremmel clone, and after some time, I had something I felt was worth keeping.

20230716_203219_1.jpg20230717_142504_remastered.jpg

I attempted a 2nd bowl on the lathe yesterday, needless to say it didn't go well and I ended up catching the sides of the bowl and breaking some of it away. At least I think that's what happened. The piece went onto the firewood pile.

A day off today and I didn't want to admit defeat, so the broken bowl was retrieved from the burn pile. I tried texturing the inside (which had bad end grain tearout) with a carving gouge, but with the sides being as they are,I couldn't get a reasonable angle. Next was the Dremmel clone, and after some time, I had something I felt was worth keeping.

View attachment 162855View attachment 162856
Anyone who says they don't get a catch now and then is a liar mate, it happens to even the best turners, we all have fails, I've had days where nothing goes right and I end up with nothing but scrap, for me it's a sign to take a break for a day or two, I've got a few pieces on my shelf of shame waiting for a 2nd chance.

Back