Poor service Fielder/Hammer UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art Watts

Reaction score
On Friday evening my Hammer Bandsaw N4400 suddenly stopped working on examination I found that the electronic brake unit in the control box had partly melted. I was going to use it for a job all weekend. I looked in the manual and found the part number thinking it should be straightforward to telephone Hammer UK Monday morning to get a part sent out soonest so I wouldn't loose to much time and money on fulfilling a job. Even with the part number at hand the girl on the phone tells me I will have to speak to the service engineer he will telephone me back this was at 10.00 hrs I have telephoned three times since the last at 15.00 it is now 17.00 when they close for the day. So I have lost another day and have still not arranged for the part to be sent. Will not be replacing any of my other machines with Hammer or fielder. Anyone else had similar problems.

My experience is not going to make you feel any better but...it's my experience.
So for the purpose of balance etc...

My A3 260 (P/T) has recently started giving less than satisfactory results.
I called Hammer and booked in a service at the first mutually convenient date.
Service guy turns up and proceeds to give machine full going over.
He found that the outside table has a severe warp and proceeds to try and release table tension (?) to correct it.
He couldn't do it so two days later a senior engineer comes out with the same result.
Hammer phoned me next day to let me know that a new table will be supplied and fitted FOC within 1 week.

Now whilst this is mildly inconvenient I do feel it's pretty good service, especially as my machine is out of warranty.

Zeddedhed":2gcxvrq0 said:
Now whilst this is mildly inconvenient I do feel it's pretty good service, especially as my machine is out of warranty.

Pretty good? I'd call that absolutely fantastic service! A major replacement, FOC, on an out of warranty machine. Good for them and good for you!

custard":2r8alwhk said:
Zeddedhed":2r8alwhk said:

Pretty good? I'd call that absolutely fantastic service! A major replacement, FOC, on an out of warranty machine. Good for them and good for you!

I agree Custard. I didn't want to sound like I was gloating since the OP has obviously not had such a good experience.

I too have had exceptional service from Felder some months ago. After a lengthy conversation over the phone with a service engineer, they sent some parts out to hopefully fix the fault. Unfortunately it wasn't the problem so other parts were sent. This again didn't work and I managed to get a friend who's a spark to come take a look. Eventually he found the fault in some wiring and fixed it. I spoke to Felder and they refunded all the costs is parts that didn't fix the fault they thought it was.

They to took a while to get back to me (the next day) after my first conversation with the reception/switch board but they were apparently out on a big repair job.

Not had any problems with Felder, Hammer nor even Fielder for that matter, most probably because I don't own any!
Regardless I think it's a bit off after one small issue to join a forum and use your first post to slate a company that hasn't done much wrong.

Small issue !!! Sorry I don't accept your low standards if you think it is ok to telephone a company several times during the day to simply order a spare part for an expensive machine I need to fix to fulfil an order as a one man self employed business . Only to be told each time I telephone that someone will ring back shortly . At no time was I told they were too busy to call me back and yes it is the next day and I am am still waiting for that call. It appears they have no other way of ordering spare parts insisting I speak to a service engineer although I know the part number . These forums are useful for everyone who is researching what companies and tools to buy deal with until you post your own experience no one knows what experiences others have had good or bad and hopefully a balanced view will prevail .Who are you to criticise someone's first post when they are simply stating the facts that may be useful to others it is hardly slating the company involved ,just because you accept such poor standards and don't want to hear anything negative.

Richard S":j43s4swt said:
Not had any problems with Felder, Hammer nor even Fielder for that matter, most probably because I don't own any!
Regardless I think it's a bit off after one small issue to join a forum and use your first post to slate a company that hasn't done much wrong.
I'm afraid I agree with Art here. If you tell someone you will call back....you should. If nothing else its only manners. These machines are expensive. Service should be included in that cost.
I find myself in the same position with Morrells. No response to emails enquiring a price for HVLP system.
Disappointing, though different system bought elsewhere. Don't think I will rush to Morrells for paint !!

Sadley poor service seems to be the norm not the exception for most firms I have had to deal with over the years. On the other hand I would rather deal with those that offer good products but may fail to call back than spot on service for rubish products.

I own a Felder and have had mixed service from them with failing to call back being common.

It's poor marketing. The ability to handle a problem well often eclipses the actual problem - the customer stands back and thinks - hell, they dealt with that really well - and the fact the problem shouldn't have arisen in the first place goes out the window, or at least greatly diminishes.

Beau":13dgrqay said:
Sadley poor service seems to be the norm not the exception for most firms I have had to deal with over the years. On the other hand I would rather deal with those that offer good products but may fail to call back than spot on service for rubish products.

I took delivery of a router table top only, from Rutlands just last week.
There is a 5mm dip in middle of table, several chips around the edge, and what looks like white paint, or Tippex covering a large scratch on the top. Only fit for the bin which is where it went after salvage of T-Tracks. Only £19.95 + PP to be fair, but totally unfit for purpose.

Disappointing when companies are so desparate for cash they resort to selling rubbish.

skronk":fdt9ajsi said:
There is a 5mm dip in middle of table, several chips around the edge, and what looks like white paint, or Tippex covering a large scratch on the top. Only fit for the bin which is where it went after salvage of T-Tracks. Only £19.95 + PP to be fair, but totally unfit for purpose.

Disappointing when companies are so desparate for cash they resort to selling rubbish.

Why didn't you return it? If people keep buying this rubbish (and holding on to it), then they'll just keep offering it!

custard":stijcohh said:
skronk":stijcohh said:

Why didn't you return it? If people keep buying this rubbish (and holding on to it), then they'll just keep offering it!

Custard,

Do you see where I live ?

Too much hassle for £25. I got some T-Track out of it anyway.

Definitely no more Rutlands for me. Utter junk.......and that is no exaggeration.

It does not matter where you live if someone supplies something that is not fit for purpose or is rubbish quality email them and tell them to arrange collection. As a matter of law they give you a refund and either they pay to collect it or 28 days later you can do as you wish with it. Do not let them tell you that it is your responsibility to return it. It is only your responsibility to ensure something is returned in good condition when you return something under a No argument returns policy

skronk":31cunhis said:
Do you see where I live ?

It's not like you live on Pluto. A delivery service got it to you in the first place, so it can also take it back.

Sorry PAC1 and Custard......for 25 quid ? It's been taken to the dump, though, as stated, I did save T-Tracks. :D :D Got to worth half the cost.

No more bad money to Rutlands.

skronk":1jbs98g4 said:
Sorry PAC1 and Custard......for 25 quid ?

Hey, you were the one who was sufficiently aggrieved to log on to this forum in the first place and moan about what a victim you were! But if it's only "£25" and you're well happy with the T Track, then what's the problem? No harm, no foul!

custard":2kjcguhn said:

No, they'll accept the return and try to pass it off as new to someone else.

Back