Pony and Axminster Pipe clamp 3/4"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eribaMotters

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought 10 off Axminster own 3/4" pipe clamps a couple of years ago. I now want to buy some more and am wondering if the genuine Pony are worth the extra. If so Tilgear at present look to be the cheapest place to buy the genuine Pony. Does anybody know if they have a discount code or when they normally have a sale as this would obviously bring the price down to something more manageable.

Colin

To answer my own question, after searching posts and the internet I have gone for the Pony. I managed to get them for £15.54 inc vat. They were still considerably more than the Axminster, but when I considered how long they should last, and it's X-mas, it was an affordable difference.

Colin

Mark,
I bought from Tillgear. I told the nice lady I wanted 10, but even at the £19.14 quantity discount price advertised I was having problem warranting spending so much. She told me she would see what she could come up with and phoned back 5 minutes later with £15.54. This heavily undercut the Axminster £21.42 quantity discount price advertised. Axminster are also out of stock.

Colin

when you get them, i would be interested to hear a comparison with the axi ones.

i am sick of using too long clamps, so a range of pipe lengths and a few sets of these heads sounds ideal.

Marcos,
I have just finished putting the Pony clamps onto the bars. When you see the Axi and Pony on the bench they do look very similar. The paint finish on the Pony is not as good as I'd expected and thinner. This could however be that with being bright Orange any surface irregularities stand out over the dark green of the Axi.
Cosmetics to one side, when you really start to look the Pony are better. Castings are slightly smaller and crisper. The accuracy of machining is better, and particularly noticeable in the axis of thread and bar centre being truer/parallel. The threaded bar is also better with less play and a sharper cut.
In conclusion, if you are planning to use them a lot, keep a long time, or like the feel of quality they are worth the extra if getting them for the price I paid. If paying nearer the normal price I would give it second thoughts. What you end up with I think you will be happy.

Colin

hi mark
i have the axi clamps and some of the bessy h series pipe clamps,the axi clamps are ok but as you can imagine the bessey ones are far superior the faces are parallel and the screw threads smoother. i got mine from mathew at wsh but i don't think he stocks them any more,but seem to remember you have contacts for importing from usa where they are a lot cheaper.your more than welcome to come and have a look and compare
regards dave

i will have a look into those. the problem is the weight for importing- i can get bits and bobs bought back, but half a dozen of those might be a bit much unless i go myself.

Latest posts

Back