Polyurethane Glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
I used some Polyurethane glue for the first time last Autumn (about a third of the bottle) and although the bottle was kept well sealed it is now a solid mass!
Is this usual for this type of glue - if so I will buy it in the smallest size available next time?
My other types of glue (Titebond III) seem to store well.

Rod

Harbo":1jke7x0w said:
I used some Polyurethane glue for the first time last Autumn (about a third of the bottle) and although the bottle was kept well sealed it is now a solid mass!
Is this usual for this type of glue - if so I will buy it in the smallest size available next time?
My other types of glue (Titebond III) seem to store well.

Rod
Yes it is normal, this has been my gripe for years. Why they don't sell it in smaller containers I don't know. The problem is when you squeeze the bottle and then release it it sucks in air, air with moisture in it, and it's that moisture that triggers the glue to go off. :evil:

To store this glue make sure you put the lid on tight and store with the bottom upside down. This way it goes hard at the bottom and you can still use it. I have had some Gorilla glue for over a year and still use it.

Russell":9pu0k6nu said:
To store this glue make sure you put the lid on tight and store with the bottom upside down. This way it goes hard at the bottom and you can still use it. I have had some Gorilla glue for over a year and still use it.
Now thats one of the best ideas I seen yet :lol: \:D/ I'll go and get some rainwater down pipe and see if I can make a stand for mine. :lol:

I used poly for the first time this week.I'd heared about storage problems you have with it so what have done i took the cap off turned the bottle upside down till the glue just starts to come out the nozzle,to get as much air out as poss, then quickly put the cap back on so no air gets back in,then give it a good shake.
If this fails i like Russels tip :D
Paul.J.

I use EverBuild Lumberjack. I use one bottle to refill 2 empty, clean sealant gun tubes. Then dispense it with a sealant gun. That way, no air (and thus moisture) can affect the glue (except in the tip). I keep the tip sealed and keep extra tips on hand. Works really well.

Brad

Harbo":2x4nyigx said:
Is this usual for this type of glue -

Rod

I'm afraid the answer is yes

To echo Wrightclan's tip.

I buy Bison Polyurethane cartridges from Tilgear.

It is not unusual to have one of these on the go for a year or more.

David C

Having read FW's review of glues, I do not think I will bother buying Polyurethane glues ever again - they came out bottom of the class!!
Instead of being the strongest they tested the weakest!!

Best is the PVA Type 1's like Titebond III closely followed by normal PVA types.

Rod

Rod
Just recently I had to rip up a dancefloor in a club. The old one (pine) had been stuck down using poly glue. Even though the pine had rotted away in places due to heavy use and being sloshed in beer and wine the boards were a nightmare to rip up. And I was using my BIG hammer and nail bar!!! :shock:
So - don't write off Poly yet. I have certainly had my faith restored!
For what its worth - any glue works best with two well mating surfaces, suitably clamped until the glue cures. :wink:
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Dom tell me about it.
First time i used the glue last week and forgot to put me gloves on.
Had to get it off by using a sanding stick.Did the trick. :roll:
Paul.J.

Once you get used to it, you can't beat it. I stopped using PVA a year ago, only use PU now, the amount of time saved on glueing up is amazing, no need for biscuits in panels anymore, clamp for 15mins max in summer, half an hour in winter. Brilliant stuff, cleans up easily as well, once dry

FWIW. I have just finished making a bird table from iroko. I used a small bottle of gorilla glue that I bought around September last year. It had been started about that time. Stored in a cupboard the right way up in the shed. Took the top off used the glue as if I bought it yesterday.

It appears that there is some variation in the experiences of users of PU glue, or maybe I have just been lucky. The top was a little stuck so it could be that there was a good airtight seal.

Bob

Oh, and I agree with what people have said about wearing gloves. I have black stained hands, and it does not come off!!!! Well, at least they will be waterproof.

Latest posts

Back