Polyurethane Glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've got some outside gluing to do in the near future and would like the teams opinion/advice on the above type glue.

I've looked at the Gorilla Glue from Rutlands and the Titebond from APTC.

Can the team advise on the best.

Thanks

I've used Gorilla glue on a garden bench (in larch) that I made some years ago and it's absolutely fine still.

gbench.jpg

It's applied to one face and the mating face is dampened (I use a spray bottle). Like all polyurethane glues, it foams a little when curing, which can be a bit of a swine to clean up, especially in tight corners, as the dried foam is also aerated, so not quite the same as removing solid, dried glue.

Gorilla is not that easy to come by, so I've tried others, but they don't seem to have the same viscosity - don't know whether that's important. Hopefully, a more regular user will chime in.

Wearing latex gloves when working with this stuff is a must, as it is very difficult to remove from your skin. HTH

Ray.

We use PU glue a lot, it's especially great for outdoor type joinery. I cannot comment on Gorilla glue, but I can tell you there are diffences in fast 5 minute PU and 30 Min PU. We have found from experimentation that the 30 min stuff seems to go off harder, although slightly more rubbery (yes I know thats a contradiction!).

At the moment we are using Lumberjack supplied by toolnet (at a VERY cheap £4.04 each for 12 tubes!!!) and have to say it is one of the best ones we have used.

You must remember as already stated that it does expand out of the joints, so a little goes a long way - unless of course your mortise is too big for the tenon when it's fab :lol:

I have made gates that are nearly two years old now and there is still absolutly no movement in the joints whatsoever.

Hope this helps

mark

I now soley use the screwfix PU and stick with it, and yes its the 5 min.

It works so much better then the yellow glue, and i use it inside as well as outside.

Good points of it is that it is gap filling, fast and so much stronger then yellow glue as it goes much more into the woodgrain then yellow glue

and you do not have to wait 24 hours for it to cure :wink:

Do the PU glues have as long a shelf life, after opening, as the white PVA(eg evostick)?

Andy

I use the tubes and properly sealed they will go a long time.

I haven't had one joined failing on me yet.

(something that cannot be said about my yellow glue :evil: )

I also use the tubes and have no problem with shelf life even if you leave the cap off you can usually recover the rest.

Not had a single joint fail in two years - in fact in a recent silly 5 mins of testing we broke a length of Iroko that had been glued previously and the wood failed before the glue! Well impressed.

Mark

What are these fast grab PU glues like for a assembling things like MFC kitchen cabinets. Construction would be with biscuit joints and, as I don't have a huge number of clamps, a glue that goes off quickly would be a real advantage. Would the 5 min stuff give enough 'open time' to assemble the cabinets? Also, I know that PU glues foam a bit; how easily does that clean up off melamine?

Latest posts

Back