Poll , How many people do segmented work ????????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you make segmented work ?

• Yes sometimes

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Yes very often

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Not often

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Never

Votes: 28 59.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Since starting turning i've only turned a few solid objects, most have been segmented as I struggle to source solid blanks cheaply.

I have voted yes sometimes.
I used to make quite a few very complicated segmented bowls but unfortunatly Joe public is not prepared to pay enough to cover the time they take to make.

Regards George

I`ve never done any segmented work- I don`t think I`d have the patience. :roll:
A lot of the amateur stuff you see can look clunky and shapeless IMO. I think there must be a tendency to think "Well, I`ve spent 83 hours sticking together 3752 pieces. I`m certainly not going to cut half of it away again!" :shock:
On the other hand, some of the very best stuff does look fabulous.

Ian

what do you mean by segmented?
a piece that contains 4000 different segments or a fairly straightforward glue up containing only a few segments?
i chose not often as i dont like the stress of turning a thing that has taken me 100 hours to glue but can only take a split second to destroy

I said " never" but only because I have never done any............ :mrgreen:

" My subject is, "" Stating the b*&((y obvious"".............. :mrgreen: could be an option !!!hehehehehe :-"

I've done a few pieces, but they only involved a slice of contrasting wood inserted down one side of the piece and that was difficult enough! The turning was easy, but the glueing up of the blanks without gaps was quite tricky, and then some of the glue-ups were spoilt when the wood moved :-( Kinda put me off doing any further experiments.

I have never done any segmented work but i would love to be able to do the work just it is having the time and finding someone on here to help with ideas and tips. Thanks and all the best.
Tim

i've never done any yet as I am self taught (and tips from you guys on here) so think I should try and get used to turning the basics first!
not only that I don't own a bansaw or chop saw so hard to get nice clean edges to glue up.

i have a bandsaw and a chop saw but i still cant get nice clean edges
straight edges, yes, but not not clean enough to glue without a visible join
when i get a bench belt sander i will have a go

I don't do fine segment work, I have neither the patience or desire to do so as I don't particularly like the finer pieces prefering to see the character of the wood rather than the design, although I do acknowledge the skill and dedication required to assemble them.
I relation to shop output segment pieces are about 10%

The pieces I do are more a matter of using up good offcuts that come my way rather than them end up on the fire, I do admit to enjoying the challenge of producing the segments with the minimum of effort by developing simple jigs or procedures that don't entail spending money on 'better' kit or a prolonged fiddle to get them correct.
For standard tapered segments I use a chopsaw fitted with a good sharp blade, it's essential that the blade and pivot axis is trued up in all planes so that the cuts are square to at least one face.
For slight adjustments to angular errors I use a bench disc sander, again attention to squareness of table etc essential.
Both items of equipment are lower/mid end standard.
Glue joints are as cut where possible, they are the most likely to be square and true and are more than fine enough finish for glue bonding.

The curved segments are bandsawn, no way with all the will in the world are cuts and angles going to be true enough for closed segment bonding, not in my hands anyway, and finishing is all done by sanding, the emphasis being on controlling the trueness to a face and flatness across the width of the curved surface. this I do again by hand with simple shop jigs. Pattern router of CNC would be the simple way but I'm not going to be doing enough to warrant that sort of expenditure.

moppetsdad":31ev70mn said:
I ticked yes sometimes, I have done a few bits but nothing good enough to show on here though, for some mind boggling segmented stuff look here http://www.tahoeturner.com/about.html He has to be the best there is unless you know better

David
Brilliant indeed and not one piece I would give house room. I'm with Chas as the wood has to shine through no matter how clever the construction.

There are exceptions to all rules of course, I would gladly give house room to Johnny T's coloured work for example. Tahoturner however, seems to me to do it because he can rather than for any good artistic reason.

We have a turner at our club who makes the most exquisite segmented pieces, each piece made of hundreds of finely measured segments. Though I look and marvel at the skill and the accuracy they leave me cold. To me they are marvelous engineering pieces and have little to appeal to me. It really is a matter of personal taste though and segmented work is as much an area of skill etc as any other.

Pete

Back