Poll: Block plane fettling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What shape should a block plane's mouth be? (see pics below)

• A: Just plain square

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B: Square mouth; rounded throat

• C: Rounded mouth; square throat

• D: Rounded mouth AND throat

• E: Backward bevel

• F: Forward bevel

• Total voters

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
It's my birthday, and I've been given a Stanley block plane, like this:

STA912_l.jpg

It's brand new and thus needs some fettling.

Blades and soleplates I'm getting fairly good at now (it's all down to flat glass and a good source of wet & dry!), but I've not given much thought before to the front edge of the mouth.

My little #90 is bevel-up and has a forward bevel to the front of the mouth, which allows me to close up the gap to almost nothing - great for hardwoods, but has a tendency to clog a bit on deal. I'm used to it though and like it. I've only ever flattened its soleplate though, because of the difficulty of access and such a small amount of metal to play with at the front. It serves me well.

This new one however is bevel-down (it's not the low-angle one), and because it's removable, I have the luxury of easily smoothing the front edge of the mouth to whatever profile I choose. As supplied it's very rough (as is the sole), but that doesn't put me off as it's easily fixed.

So, the question is to what profile I should shape the front of the mouth. It'll be used for general finishing/cleanup work, and I'd like it to be as good on hardwood as I can make it. Here are the options I've thought up so far:

4457493153_c7a1d25691_o.png

Please let me know what you think, and if none are suitable, say so!

Many thanks!

I have the identical plane (but not brand new) and it works beautifully. The mouth is square (A).

Hi,

E is the best one for shaving clearance, but A and B will work.

Pete

Back