Polishing head for SXE450

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you intending to sand bullnoses with a ROS? Not really the right tool as you run the risk of dubbing the edges and losing the edge definition - Corion as remarkably soft when you sand it and requires extreme cleanliness, especially if you are doing a gloss finish. Hand sand - it won't take all that long to do the edges, or use shaped pads like you get with the Porter-Cable linear profile sander.

Scrit

Lynx I don't think any of those pads will work, you actually polish corian with finer and finer grit discs not a polish and mop. The Festool ones go down to 4000grit.

Get the correct pads and as scrit says edges etc can be done by hand.

Jason

thanks for the info. It's been 9 years since i fabricated with corian.

We get the 3M sanding pads that i think only go down to 600grit. The festool pads, i don't think, will fit the Metabo (??).

Scrit, why not sand bullnoses with a ROS. Do you mean this for corian only or timber too. We all use ROS for our bullnose, elliptical edges etc

LyNx":23g4shtp said:
We get the 3M sanding pads that i think only go down to 600grit. The festool pads, i don't think, will fit the Metabo (??).

Thats why all the Corian boys use Festool ROSs :D

Jason

i'll let you try to explain to the wife why i need a different sander :lol:

I may be able to convince her that you need a hole punch to alter the holes to suit the 6 hole Metabo but may have difficulty explaining a ney toy :wink: sorry tool

Jason

The other reason for using a Festool is that having more holes further outboard of the centre you get better dust extraction - that means less swirl marks, makes the job go faster. Make sure you vacuum out the worktop and machine between grit changes - cleanliness is next to..... but you know that. I'd hand sand the edges of the bullnose to keep the definition, especially if you have something like a 40mm diameter on a 25mm thick worktop, givin a slight arris at the top and bottom edges. Machine sanding that can lose you the edge crispness - but then that may be what you want........ An ROS can cut awfully quickly and I just feel it isn't the ideal tool for doing rounded edges for the reasons given.

Good luck!

Scrit

Back