Point Tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have bought a piece of HSS round bar 200mm x 10 mm to make a point tool. How much of the 200mm (8") do you think should go into the handle, which I will be making. Should the length of the bevel be 1.5 x of the tool diameter & do you finish the handle or leave bare . Thanks Tony

50mm - 60mm is what I insert. That bar makes nice easy to use skew chisels as well - I have one with quite an angle on it and one ground square across. Handles? Use what you have at hand - boiled linseed, Osmo, spray laquer it really doesn't matter, it just stops them getting grubby.
G&M Tools - Search Results ferrules are good for ferrules if you're going to make any number, and upholstery nails are good for the "buttons" on the ends of the handles.

The rule of thumb is five times the diameter of the tool shaft so if it's 10mm bar, 50mm in the handle.
The bevel on the tool can be anything you want it to be but shorter bevels will prevent you forming narrower V's so make it to suit your needs.

Back