Pocket knife - recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have stacks of Opi's too! Awesome little knife for the money, but they are a dime a dozen. OP was asking about something a bit more special or I would have recommeded them also... Althought you could buy every size for less than the price of something highet end...

phil.p":2yuy8me8 said:
Opinel is perfectly named. You haven't a Opinel of keeping them sharp.

On the contrary, they take a wickedly sharp edge very easily indeed, perhaps you're doing it wrong ! :)

Cheers, Paul

AAAAAAARRRHHH!!!!

Not another "s" thread...it was getting good...I ordered an OPINEL today on the strength of the recommendations and now I will have to go learn to "s"....

DOOMED...I'm DOOMED!!

:mrgreen:

Jimi

phil.p":21lfd52d said:
Yes, they take an edge easily but they blunt easily as well.

Perhaps you're putting too acute an edge on ? Might be worth trying a less steep angle or convexing the edge ?

Mine don't blunt more easily than any other knives that I have, except for some of the more exotic steel blades like a wee Fallkniven folder (TK4) that has a blade of 3G powdered steel that stays scalpel sharp for ever it feels like, but that costs around £120 so not a fair comparison !

Sorry Jimi :lol:

Cheers, Paul

Mine is o/k as well its a carbon steel on not a SS.

Pete

No issues with any of my Opinels keeping a decent edge either. All mine are carbon save one with an inox blade. They work like a hot damn and resharpen to hair popping sharp easily with a green compounded bit of leather...

novocaine":ca5671f8 said:
got an opinel 7, cracking knife, but at 7 quid I wouldn't suggest it for something of a special gift. they have a real following in the knife world and get modified a hell of a lot, end of the day they are still the peasants knife.
Hence my shotgun analogy. Depends whether you want a user or an heirloom , depends also whether you're a Lord or a peasant it seems.

I'm more than happy being a peasant. :D

swb58":3bqroppf said:
On the subject of peasants, I've got a Svord Peasant mini from Heinnie, rough as you like, but kind of classy with it. Lots of folks have replaced the stock scales and pimped the blades. I like mine as it is, a little rough around the edges. It's UK Street legal because it doesn't lock, but is very secure in use.

bugbear":33z2usf7 said:
phil.p":33z2usf7 said:
I did read somewhere that you should always carry a pencil if you carry a knife, as this constitutes a good reason for carrying one.

That soundse implausible, at least to me.

BugBear
Then again you can do a lot of damage with a sharp pencil.

Depending on your interests you might also like one of the flexcut pocket knives, I've got a 3 bladed whittling knife and a carving jack from them which make for a great portable way of wasting time and making wood smaller. The fit of the wooden scales is sub-par compared to 'premium' knives, but the blades are outstanding for whittling and carving (if slightly tricky to open and close). They're generally silly money in the UK but come up occasionally on Ebay for reasonable money, and if you're ever in the US they can be had for decent prices.

swb58":1uwwxuzv said:
Hence my shotgun analogy. Depends whether you want a user or an heirloom , depends also whether you're a Lord or a peasant it seems.

didn't say that I didn't like it. lol

I wanted an opinel from about the age of 12 when I saw one in a campsite window in france, took me till I was 21 to buy one, still got it now, a few years later (read 12) and it is still in use.
happy to be a peasant in the mud tar. snapped the tip, ground the back and now it's a drop point, blade looks like hell but is always sharp. dont have an issue with it going blunt to easy.
now off to polish the purdey and put it back in it's box, will be taking the webley as usual. (yer right, like I have a purdey)

Latest posts

Back