Pocket holes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymar

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to make a kitchen unit, it needs to be bespoke. I think pocket hole joints will be the best way but have never used them . What tips, advice can you experts pass on to me, jig type etc ?
Any help will be much appreciated.
Alan

Take a look at the kreg sets , I got mine from d & m tools. I wouldn't just use them though for carcases , I would use some dowels too for strength .

jaymar":1j6gwnbq said:
I have to make a kitchen unit, it needs to be bespoke. I think pocket hole joints will be the best way but have never used them . What tips, advice can you experts pass on to me, jig type etc ?
Any help will be much appreciated.
Alan
The pocket hole joints are strong but have a tendency to pull out of line. I use dominoes for alignment though dowels or bisects would also work. Alternatively good clamping while assembly can also work.

This is one kind of clamp http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30675

few words of advice:

- Try to get the right kind of screw for the material you are using, KREG do all kinds
- Use extraction, as it makes the drill bits last longer and you get a cleaner run
- Clamping is key, they must be solidly clamped
- When the two work pieces pull up, due to the angle then you will risk move the piece that you are screwing into pulling out of line. You can shim the clamp to allow for this, eg, you clamp out of line, then do the joint up and pull into line.

A good KREG kit isn't cheap, though it is £650 cheaper than a domino.........

If you haven't already got any kreg pocket hole items, take a look at axminster. They have some of the stuff in a sale over there :)

Thanks all. I hadn't thought of bisccuits so that will be a great help.
Alan

Back