pocket holes for doors??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radicalwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently making 2 built in units from mainly Ash. I have done the face frames and used pocket screws to join it together. One of the units is just cupboards. the doors are to be Ash frames with removable painted Mdf panels rabbited in from the rear.

The question is would you do the doors with pocket screws or mortice and tenon?

doors will be around 5/8" thick at a guess when the wood is plained up. not sure if I pocket screws will pull things square either with the wood not being 3/4"

cheers Neil

Hi radical I have used pocket holes in a door frame, last year on a cabinet. Still working well and the screws pulled the edges square. I am not sure how thick the stiles/rails were. I will have to check.

Paul must be having one of those days never even thought about getting the biscuit jointer out :oops: .

Bean thanks for the info, thickness would be good, will give it a try on some scrap.

Cheers
Neil

M&T, stub tenons or dowels here. Having seen carcasses put together with pocket hole screws I'm extremely dubious about their long term durability in something subject to the stresses a door is subject to. I certainly wouldnt try it on a paying job

Scrit

Scrit
dowels dowels I submit :p
I think today if some one hit me with a kipper I wound not see it.

the doors are only 550 x 400 so there too big, its either dowels or biscuits

Neil

Dowels OK if you are not bothered how long the doors last - and if you have various expensive bits of dowel kit, as they are not as easy to do as they look. Strictly speaking dowels are only used for industrially made cheap furniture and are best avoided altogether by DIYers esp if bothered about quality of work. Never used in traditional work except as pins through M&Ts.

Pocket screws? :roll:. No, never for anything except rubbish carcassing. Incidentally if you must use them you don't need any of the expensive kit which is being promoted nowadays - you just drill a pilot hole at the desired angle, countersink it, and screw your screw in

M&T best by far without a doubt.

cheers
Jacob

Mr G, have you seen how fast it is to put something together with pocket hole kits? I have the kreg on and for kitchen cabs etc then it is so fast and should last as long as is required. I can't imagine that it would be as fast with just trying to drill some pilot holes.

Mr_Grimsdale":2d40biyz said:
Strictly speaking dowels are only used for industrially made cheap furniture and are best avoided altogether by DIYers esp if bothered about quality of work. Never used in traditional work except as pins through M&Ts.

Jacob

Hi Mr G

I used to use them a lot, some times for repairing a tenon and have used them for joints too but I think you have it wrong to say that dowels are only used for cheap furniture.

As I have repaired some not so cheap furniture that was put together with them and non of it was new :) .

Regards Colin

Mr_Grimsdale":227bveao said:
Dowels OK if you are not bothered how long the doors last - and if you have various expensive bits of dowel kit, as they are not as easy to do as they look.
Dowelling kit isn't necessarily expensive - the Marples/Record M148 dowelling jig wasn't overpriced, works very well and costs a lot less than a mortiser. Yes, I know I can cut M&Ts by hand, but I find a machine does that better and faster than I can any day if there are multiples to be done and for multiples with a decent jig dowelling is faster still. It all depends on what you have to hand by way of kit, I suppose. Whilst I know that a M&T will generally be stronger that a dowel joint the dowel if properly glued and cramped can still be a very durable joint. Personally I rather like using stub tenons strengthened with a couple of dowels on doors (Frankenstein joint, but good for painted MDF doors) or sometimes loose stub tenons (i.e. a mortise cut in both pieces to the joint and a loose tenon piece glued in) as a solution on smaller doors, especially kitchen ones which probably won't have above a 20 year lifespan. I wouldn't, however, use dowels or stub tenons on a full-size door.

Mr_Grimsdale":227bveao said:
Strictly speaking dowels are only used for industrially made cheap furniture and are best avoided altogether by DIYers esp if bothered about quality of work. Never used in traditional work except as pins through M&Ts.
Aren't chairs full of dowels? Like Colin I've used dowels on repair work, although the volume I've done is paltry. I'm just repairing what I'm told is a late Victorian/Edwardian rocker at the moment and the thing has been bodged that many times that the only solution is to use dowels. Machine dowelling had come in by the time of the 1851 Great Exhibition and was apparently reasonably common in even smaller workshops in the East End by 1900, perhaps as a cross-over from chair-making. But in modern solid wood work such as Scandiniavian style (i.e. 1960s retro style) furniture the only way to put pieces together is often to dowel them as there is no frame and panel to work with, just solid teak or mahogany. Still that's probably what you'd call modern tat! :wink:

On a more serious note surely the reason why dowelling is a more modern contrivance is because the first truly accurate auger bits (Jennings-pattern bits) only came about in the 1870s (maybe Alf or Bugbear could correct me on that)?

the_g_ster":227bveao said:
Mr G, have you seen how fast it is to put something together with pocket hole kits?
The problem with pocket hole stuff is that the joints are marginal on larger cabinets like full-height oven cabs and if the assembler makes a muck of it and overtightens the screws even a little the resulting cracks can start the joint on the rapid road to premature failure. I much prefer even carcass screws (horrid things) to that! Pocket holes can also fail if the cab is subjected to rough handling in transit, especially racking movement. Bear in mind here that I am talking about MFC kitchen carcasses and not plywood - they work much better on plywood, but are a disaster on MDF, IMHO. I think one of the primary objections I have to using pocket holes on doors though (or anywhere else where they will be visible) is the aesthetics of them - to me they just make doors look cheap and tacky even with the shaped plug fillers Kreg sell

Scrit

I prefer my 'Woden' Dowel Jig to the Marples/Record. I found the latter just slipped against the tension of the clamp. Yes I tried sandpaper. Didn't make much difference.

Biscuits are good. I used them in pairs, to joint a machine-stand for a Coronet Major. No sign of racking yet.
Pocket screws?
I might use them for attaching a table-top, but would prefer wooden buttons.

My conclusion:

For dining-chairs use good dowels. (I made a set with tenons, and am forever repairing them!)
For speed? Where 'top drawer' work isn't required, then biscuits every time.
Next best - 'Slip-tenons' for me..

John :D

i like to use pocket screws and biscuits on carcases another frankenstein but quick to assemble especially with ply and very strong with no20s. maybe two biscuits and three screws on a 600 carcase seems fine. may beef up mdf pocket screw carcases (abit) but m and t s on doors are best.

There are numerous pieces I've repaired that have had rough dowels used in the first instance. Dowels have been used from the 'year dot' - it has been and still is one of the most basic and straight forward joints if done properly; certainly in the last 100 years or so. A lot of times there is no other choice in restoration.

Back