Pneumonia

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblycogs

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just got out of hospital after suffering from a life threatening case of pneumonia and I thought it was best if I let people know what to watch out for so that they get treatment sooner.

Bare in mind that I'm only 35 and I'm other wise fit and healthy so when I came down with flu like symptoms I just retreated to bed for a few days to get better. Trouble is, I didn't get better. I had all the classic flu like symptoms: aching joints, cough, tiredness, head ache, fever, etc so when I spoke to the out of ours doctor he said just go home and get better. The only symptom that was out of the ordinary was an occasional cracklyiness / bubbliness from my lungs when I woke up. It was rare though and most doctors and nurses couldn't hear anything wrong.

After 7 days of suffering I went to the out of hours doctor again with a fever of 39.7 and threw myself on their mercy. As my fever was so high and of unknown cause they immediately stuck me in A&E where a, excecllent young doctor sent me off for an x-ray and told me what I had. Cue several very painful and scary days in hospital with fevers of 40+. I now have a few months of recovery to look forward to.

So, if you have flu and you aren't getting better go to your GP and make sure he / she listens carefully to your lungs. In a couple of months I should be able to make a cup of again!

Cheers, I seem to be getting better pretty quickly so touch wood I'll be up and about in a couple of weeks.

I caught double pneumonia when I was a little lad in the mid-50's. Fortunately the doc recognised it for what it was and was able to prescribe the all new, wonder drug, called Penecillin (and I was lucky to get it) which sorted it out
Glad you're on the mend - Rob

I caught double pneumonia when I was a little lad in the mid-50's. Fortunately the doc recognised it for what it was and was able to prescribe the all new, wonder drug, called Penecillin (and I was lucky to get it) which sorted it out
Glad you're on the mend

The same thing happened to my father back in 1947, 'Lung Fever' in those days, and a killer.
I was brought, aged 7, to his bedside to say 'goodbye'.
Later that day our Doctor turned up with a new wonder drug that was now being made available to GPs.
He told us he knew nothing about it but it was dad's only hope.
Penicillin!
Dad was back on his feet, though very shaky, a few days later.
Take it easy wc.

Roy.

Get well soon.

I had pneumonia has a child - don't remember if they gave me penicillin but I do remember the chest pain and being treated with hot kaolin poultices on my chest.

Rod

Another childhood pneumonia sufferer in the 1950s; also treated with the new wonder antibiotic and (obviously) still here to tell the tale. But was always puzzled afterwards as someone said it was VIRAL pneumonia, and antibiotics don't tackle viruses.

Thanks for your kind words everyone. I'm also glad we now have antibiotics as I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it without (whatever I had was antibiotic resistant so I'm now on some very powerful stuff).

Dick, you were probably given antibiotics even though you had viral pneumonia to stop you getting bacterial pneumonia in your weakened state.

Back