Plywood Organiser Shelves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanG

Established Member
Reaction score
You know the organiser boxes like this?

http://www.stanleyworks.co.uk/Tool+...Pro+Organizer/SkuDetail.ctlg?ObjectID=92-749#

Well, I have a stack of them and have got fed up with lifting out the top 4 to get to the 5th one down as the one I want to get a single screw from is never at the top of the pile.

What I need is an Organiser Organiser, how ironic!

I'm going to make a plywood unit using carcass joinery and am torn between using 'Mitre Lock' or 'Rabbet and Dado' for the corners, Tage Frid recommends using 'tongue and groove'to join the shelves to the carcass, does anyone have an opinion on whether the T&G in 12mm WBP will support the weight of one of these boxes loaded to the gunwales with fixings? He is very clearly against housing the shelves completely as there will be no shoulder acting against the side.

For the back should I rabbet or groove? and what would be the best material, hardboard or 3mm MDF.

I've just reread my ramble and think a summary is needed

1) 12mm Plywood carcass corners - Mitre Lock or Rabbet and Dado
2) Joining the shelf to the carcass - will T&G be strong enough
3) Material for the back - hardboard or 3mm MDF
4) Joining the back - rabbet or groove

I'd use biscuits and pocket screws, quick and easy. Plus you'll never see the joinery, even if it did matter. Why make life harder?

PS: All my workshop cabinets are built this way. One carries the drill press and one carries the bandsaw. No problems in 2yrs.

I gave up with organiser boxes - I just use the boxes that screws come in and have them on a shelf with label showing. Slide out the box that I need. That said, if you have to transport your screw collection then I s'pose the organiser is the way to go.

I'd use glue and nails BTW.

Funny you should say that Matt, I used to have loads of screws on boxes, the ones I wanted were never the ones I took with me :roll: Then I got a load of organisers, put the screws in, cut the labels off the boxes to put on top of each compartment and labeled the outside of the organisers so I knew what was in each one - Brilliant! :wink:

Wizer, you are cruel man, I have neither biscuit jointer nor pocket drill guide, and Christmas is long way of yet (no matter what the shops say), but I do have a router and a table saw and a yeaning to make some joinery, even if it is only a bit of workshop furniture - all grist for the practise mill :D

As for Mister Dibs-h, I have two words "Teapot" and "Chocolate" - free exercise indeed, it also doesn't help that I never have enough clear space to put the others down.

Latest posts

Back