Plywood face frames?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillamb168

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello again everybody,

So originally I was going to be milling all the face frames for our kitchen redo myself, from cherry stock (same for the door rails & stiles). However that precluded getting a table saw, and for the moment I think we're holding off on that purchase.

I am wondering if anyone knows of any reason other than aesthetic that I could not use birch plywood for cabinets, face frames, rails and stiles and panels all together? The cabinets would be getting painted, face frame assembly is with biscuits and pocket hole screws. The face frames on the drawer side will get a 3/16" radius beaded edge, so I will need to be routing the faces of the ply. Should I be concerned about chip out on the router cuts? Is there any reason why I can't get away with 100% ply for the whole kitchen? I am thinking to use 20mm ply for the whole project.

Thanks!

Rounded edges on ply will exaggerate any deviation in individual ply thicknesses which will need careful preparation & priming not to show through paint.
I would avoid screwing into the edges of plywood eg for door hinges.

Poplar/tulip wood would be a better choice for painted face frames.

You will be putting in a lot of hours on the project - why not be a little more generous with materials?

Back