plunger router and a router table, do they mix?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kell

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya,

I have a plunge router which is a pretty good spec one and has never left the box (and i've had it a year). Do any types of plunge routers work with router tables? not sure what spec mine is but I think I might christen it if I can get/make a table for it. If not can anyone recomend a cheap fixed router?

cheers

Plunge routers are fine in router tables. Fixed base ones are fairly rare in the UK.

Plunge will be fins

The Triton is prbably the best for a table if you are thinking of shopping for one specifically for the table

Kell
Go ahead with your existing router, whatever it is (although, as Tony points out, the Triton has a reputation for being well-designed for inverted work -can't speak from experience in that one though).

But be aware that the biggest problem with plunge routers upside down s height adjustment.

The Trend T11 is very good in this respect, as it is adjustable with a key from above and from below. On my own table I use a DW fitted with a Router Raizer from the Woodworker's Workshop and I have no complaints at all.

I think plunge routers work very nicely in a router table. I made a lift for my DW621 router for less than $10. Although it doesn't work from above the table like the commercially made ones, I find it easier to reach underneath anyway because I usually squat down to see when setting cutter height anyway.

The lift I made squeezes the motor and base together so it doesn't deform the insert plate and is very lightweight so I can leave it on the router when hand holding it. I expect the same sort of device could be made for most any plunge router.

I fitted a set of Woodrat plunge bars to my router for bit height setting. Just squeeze the bars with one hand and measure the bit height/ depth of cut with the other. I use a little horse shoe shaped gizmo, by Trend I think, for setting bit height, bit to fence distance etc. Sorry I can't find a picture at the moment...got it in B&Q for about £5. seems like a lot for what it is but worth its weight in gold.

Plunge routers work very well in a router table.I presently have a Makita
3612C in my table. I removed the plunge springs because this is a dedicated router for the table. I also installed a Veritas Bit Jack which replaces the depth adjustment knob. I change bits from the top side. To make certain that I do not have a slip of the wrench & damage a bit, I dipped the wrench in a plastic solution used to insulate plier handles & prevents metal contact with the bit should a slip occur(hasn't happened yet).
If it hasn't been out of the box in a year's time, it sounds like you have little demand for handheld use & it may be sensible in your case to set it up for good table performance.

Lee

Back