Plumbing - waterstop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dibs-h

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm inclined to fit the following,

http://www.surestop.co.uk/powered-by-water.asp

i.e. on the way out - flick the switch, that way in the case of a leak in an unattended house - the damage should be limited. We live in an old house, with old pipes. :wink:

But I am tempted to not and fit a 2 port motorised valve (normally open) instead - that way when we arm the house alarm - one of the outputs could easily drive the valve (via relay) to close & if the 'leccy fails - it'll open. Consumption is around 6w - so I'm not massively bothered.

Any thoughts\advice?

Cheers

Dibs

You wouldnt have to worry about power failure anyway Dibs motorized valves have a manual overide on them.

I dont think I would bother myself nothing wrong with a decent gate valve as long as its looked after and its not ceased up when you need it :lol:

Dibs-h":j9jycimn said:
I'm inclined to fit the following,

http://www.surestop.co.uk/powered-by-water.asp

i.e. on the way out - flick the switch, that way in the case of a leak in an unattended house - the damage should be limited. We live in an old house, with old pipes. :wink:

But I am tempted to not and fit a 2 port motorised valve (normally open) instead - that way when we arm the house alarm - one of the outputs could easily drive the valve (via relay) to close & if the 'leccy fails - it'll open. Consumption is around 6w - so I'm not massively bothered.

Any thoughts\advice?

Cheers

Dibs

Hi Dibs

I fitted one of these for a customer quite a few years ago and hasn't been any problems as far as I know. (he hasn't had any emergency shut offs though :)

I did think about one for myself but just too much hassle to get at the pipework to fit (not under the kitchen c/board and would need to wreck tiles etc).

I've seen some on clearance and if you check out these guys they seem to be selling for £10.22 which is s real bargain. Might be + VAT and del etc.
There are direct and remote types!

http://www.store2go.net/shop/psw/p/cate ... AL+OFFERS/

cheers

Bob

Dibs,

Our house is owned by a housing association and when our bathrooms and kitchens were refurbished a couple of years ago one of these was fitted in with the new plumbing, we've had no problems with it at all and the plumber who fitted it told us at the time that these were almost being fitted as standard by most housing association now.

Steve

chippy1970":fbjg4o1q said:
You wouldnt have to worry about power failure anyway Dibs motorized valves have a manual overide on them.

I dont think I would bother myself nothing wrong with a decent gate valve as long as its looked after and its not ceased up when you need it :lol:

Yeah but with a gate valve - which there is anyway - you have to turn it off & then on, whereas the waterstop or a motorised valve, it can be done remotely. The only advantage of the motorised valve (Normally Open) is the wife wouldn't have to be talked thru "overriding" it. I'm sure you know what I mean. :wink:

My thinking was that the Normally aspect dictates what happens when the power fails, whilst the override\bypass is normally reserved for a knackered motor.

Lons":fbjg4o1q said:
Hi Dibs

I fitted one of these for a customer quite a few years ago and hasn't been any problems as far as I know. (he hasn't had any emergency shut offs though :)

I did think about one for myself but just too much hassle to get at the pipework to fit (not under the kitchen c/board and would need to wreck tiles etc).

I've seen some on clearance and if you check out these guys they seem to be selling for £10.22 which is s real bargain. Might be + VAT and del etc.
There are direct and remote types!

http://www.store2go.net/shop/psw/p/cate ... AL+OFFERS/

cheers

Bob

Cheers for that Bob - Might just fit one of them for now, especially at that price and do the automatic solution as & when.

Cheer

Dibs

hi
i'm a site manager on a major housing association refurb contract and we have moved away from fitting sure stops due to the amount of leaks we were getting. they are only slight drips but enough to knacker the units in time. we only fit them now if the existing stop tap is in a very inaccessible position
regards
erik

RogerS":fs9cueav said:
In my experience the motorised valves you get with central heating system are no good for mains water pressure.

Rog - why? The specs of the ones I've looked at are fine with a static pressure of up 21Bar. Our mains is 4-5bar so well within that. I appreciate that if the downstream was empty then the differential pressure might be slightly higher than the 2 or so bar quoted, in which case it wouldn't like it.

I'm assuming these are the sorts of valves used to heat a pressurised HW cylinder, albeit the 3 port ones. Cobblers just realised they aren't fitted on the mains side - just the primary side. :oops:

Dibs

Latest posts

Back