Plugging holes with "putty"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a project under-way - I am using MDF in this case. However I have had to include screws to give the necessary strength.

Now I wish to paint it BUT before I do I want to close all the countersunk holes with a product. I know it as "plastic wood".

In the UK what do I ask for? and where can I buy it? I goes hard in a short period and can be machined and painted equally so. It has been suggested using glazer's putty but I do not believe that will work well.

Advice welcome.

TIA

Brian,

Do not use glazers putty it will never set, also the linseed oil will soak into the MDF which might create a problem with the paint.

I use 2 pack car body filler such as P38, it hardens pretty quickly, it can be sanded and shaped to any profile.

Paul

its actuallly called plastic wood in my local diy shop, cant remember who makes it tho, comes in a small tin, have a look round your local diy

CNC Paul":117no3qu said:
I use 2 pack car body filler such as P38, it hardens pretty quickly, it can be sanded and shaped to any profile.

Seconded. Isopon P38 (or is it P40?) is what I will be using in a similar application. I've seen it used by others with great success. I think halfords sell it.

I wonder if plugs would look better or worse in painted MDF? Would be easier IMO.

I'd imagine it would be very hard to hide them. "Car Body Filler" will not leave any trace.

Jason, thanks for the tip on that bonda, me thinks I will give it a ago after I've run out of "Car Body Filler."

any 2 pack filler would do, i once used to "rebuild"a slight rotten window sill, once sanded and painted the repair is invisible, and has not cracked like other fillers iv used.

jhb

Thanks for the info folks.

Maybe if the weather stops freezing my ass, I will be able to make progress!

With a recent project, I collected all the m.d.f. dust and mixed it withdiluted pva, I kept it in an airtight pot and used it to fill all fixing holes, three weeks later it is still usable being in an airtight container, it sets fairly quickly and is near invisible when sanded.
Derek.

AH, but near invisible is just not good enough Derek. It has to be totaly invisible!
I can accept mixing sawdust with pva to repair a solid wood indiscretion. but MDF? isn't that just a tingy bit stingy? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

John B.
If you can reccomend a filler that matches the green of the M/R M.D.F. that I use, then please pass it on, I usually use 2 part resin wood filler, but in this case I wanted to lose the filler as the item was not being painted or anything else.
Derek.

Further to previous comments,
Brummer make a vast number of matching wood fillers, but not GREEN, I know that they will produce any colour you want AT A PRICE.

I do however use a lot of Rare Earth Pigments to make up my own shades and fillers with some success, I might add.
Derek.

I might experiment with some students' quality watercolours one day! I have tinted emulsion paint with the tubes of artists' acrylic paint before now, so it might work.

:D

Unipart supply 5 litre cans of car filler at ridiculously low prices. I've been using it everywhere including filling holes during decorating. Will try Jasons' recommendation though as I've nearly run out.

Back