Plugging holes with "putty"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
krismusic":2trqx4x6 said:
IMHO. Brummer is what was used before better high performance two part epoxy fillers became available.

Oh Me Gawd... How old must I be?

My old Cambridge was held together with two-part filler and when I first put bolts on the bottom of my up-and-over door, I made the 'keepers' in the brick pillars out of the stuff!

I never considered using epoxy for filling over nails etc. When I make a piece of furniture I like to make it easy for someone in the distant future to repair. I just wonder if two-part epoxy is easy to remove without damaging the surrounding timber.
8)

Benchwayze":34xri70d said:
krismusic":34xri70d said:
IMHO. Brummer is what was used before better high performance two part epoxy fillers became available.

Oh Me Gawd... How old must I be?

My old Cambridge was held together with two-part filler and when I first put bolts on the bottom of my up-and-over door, I made the 'keepers' in the brick pillars out of the stuff!

I never considered using epoxy for filling over nails etc. When I make a piece of furniture I like to make it easy for someone in the distant future to repair. I just wonder if two-part epoxy is easy to remove without damaging the surrounding timber.
8)
That is a very good point. Must admit I hadn't thought of that aspect. :oops: You would make a mess getting at a screw covered by two part.

Hi Kris,

I won’t say I never use epoxy for some jobs. ‘Filling in dings’ that I can’t steam out for instance, when it’s not convenient to make a replacement part. Although when my hands weren't so shaky, a ‘mouse’ was the better option for some kinds of damage. So, epoxy can be used to good effect and it won't fall out.

But it’s true I do ‘build’ with future repairs in mind. For instance, I have to put my old bench right. I don’t know how old it is but I'd guess pre-WWII. It’s starting to rack just a bit, although it's still pretty solid, so I won't throw it out. When I get the new top finished, to make sure it outlives me, I am going to re bore the tenons in the undercarriage. I can do that because whoever made it, had the forethought to use good draw-bore tenons, without glue. I might be wicked though, and add some PVA! :twisted: :wink:

One of the interesting aspects of this forum is that there are so many different types of woodwork. My stuff tends to be heavily dependent on MDf and machining. Epoxy filler fits right in as an appropriate technique to solve problems. The longest that my clients would expect my work to last would be around 20yrs. Some of the things that I construct for advertising photography, a matter of days! I have the utmost respect for people who make things by hand, for future generations. 8) Horses for courses as they say. :D BTW what's a "mouse"?

Hi Kris,

A mouse?

Is a fussy, even painstaking way to cover a blemish in a panel and it's pretty irreversible once you start. So you have to get it right.

It's a small, oval of veneer let into the damaged area and it is meant to be invisible when flushed down.

It's sometimes easier to re veneer the whole panel or make a new top.

A mouse is also a small weight on a string, used for threading the cords on a sash-window, when you re-fit the sash. (In Brum it is at least.)

It's also a furry, four-legged animal, that made a nest in, and ruined my keep net, which I stupidly left in the workshop!

:D

Back