Please recommend a road bike?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Steve - really appreciate your help.
Why not the Wiggle one? I'm not impressed with my local Halfords - they really don't seem to know what they are talking about and just know I'd either have to tinker with the bike myself or take it to the LBS. I have no time to do the former and am reluctant to do the latter. But just went and had another look - it's a very well spec'ed bike. Although not so sure about the mix of Shimano components - 105 rear, tiagra front and levers and brakes with no name but speced as Tektro R720 - the Wiggle Focus (and Specialized) is Shimano Tiagra throughout? What are your thoughts?
Just been looking at turbo trainers - never knew such a thing existed!
Why rear-mounted wire trip computer?
Cheers
Gidon

Turbo trainers are weapons of torture, plus you look ridiculous.

Picture the scene, you've got the bike set up somewhere in front of a telly (otherwise it's just too boring), you then have the optional sound deadening mat underneath or perhaps a towel to catch the sweat, you then set up a big floor standing fan next to you, you then approach the bike wearing only shoes and shorts as you know you're going to sweat like nothing on earth.

15 minutes in you're already bored, you can't hear the telly over the fan and trainer, you've sweated so much you look like you've been baby oiled and are a nice shade of pink, in fact that much sweat has poured off you that the towel underneath is soaked and there is a puddle forming under the bike. Then wife/husband/kids/neighbour/passers by on the street come and tell to pack it in cause the noise is too much and they're fed up with sporadic shouts of "Come on", "Push it" and "Feel the burn"

Ride outside or not at all.

Oh, and get the Boardman

:lol: nice summary IB. Mine is in the cellar though so no problem with being seen :D Plenty of turbos on e-bay, they are certainly not for everyone. I am in the middle of a diet and am suffering for a smaller waist but agree they are a less than perfect alternative to a cycle through the country.

Gidon - I said drop the wiggle on the simple basis that you cannot ride it before you buy it. Regarding Halfords - its the only place that sells the Boardman Bike. Provided you do not expect them to actually do anything, know anything, or be able to offer advice on anything then they are fine to deal with.... Setting up a bike is not hard and so long as you check what Hellfreuds have done to your purchase BEFORE you get on it for the first time you will be fine. The bike is top quality, just that the bloke taking your cash is likely to be a complete numpty. Having said that if you buy the wiggle it will come flat packed and you will need to assemble it, so why not check the boardman bike over once halfords have finished nailing the wheels on?

As to components - doubt you will notice the difference between tiagra and 105, I know I wouldn't. Seriously, don't get hung up on the spec of the gear levers and chain set, most people only use 4 or 5 gears of the 30 odd available anyway. Any bike in the £400+ range will be amply specced. Only serious contenders will notice the difference in components.

As mentioned, the trip comp goes on the rear as on a turbo the front wheel is stationary. Also, if you get one with a cadence sensor as well then this has to be rear mounted as one sensor is on the pedal crank.

Steve.

Doh - I wasn't connecting the bit on trainers and cycle computers! I thought it's because you like doing wheelies!
IB - you like trainers then ;)!
Boardman seems to be the favourite. Wiggle do assemble the bikes as far I can see - I just need to put the pedals on.
Think I'd like to go with minimum Tiagra - the Sora shifters don't look very elegant.
Cheers
Gidon

Well finally made my decision:

specialized-allez-sport-2009-road-bike.jpg

Specialized Allez Sport 2009 model - got the last 09 model for £734 - the 10 model is £800 and is identical apart from colour. Bought it from Certini Saltash (The Specialized Concept Store) - rather reluctatnly they chucked in and installed a Cateye cycle computer! (Great except no average speed :(!)

Had it a couple of weeks. Absolutely love it!

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated!

What do I need to get now ;)!

Cheers

Gidon

What do I need to get now Wink!

One word.... lycra! Padded shorts are a must for anything over about 10 miles, even if - like me - you wear them under a pair of track suit trousers so nobody can see!

Nice looking bike, should do you well :D

Steve

Can not see buying another bike as I havn`t wore the current one out yet
1951 cruiser single speed,big fat tires so I take bumps well,full fender,wing handlebars,coaster brakes...26" wheels and a nice big seat that I have grown into.

gidon":2oxbp0if said:
Well finally made my decision:

specialized-allez-sport-2009-road-bike.jpg

Specialized Allez Sport 2009 model - got the last 09 model for £734

Had it a couple of weeks. Absolutely love it!

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated!

What do I need to get now ;)!

Cheers

Gidon

Two things,rear view mirror and a pair of pedals(well I find it easier to pedal with pedals anyhow well thats just me....) Oh and a water bottle and air pump would be nice add ons

Yup, for something in excess of 5 grand you too can ride the bike Lance rode in the TDF. Actually, its a general rule that any bike in the TDF can be bought by joe public (or at least that section of it with alot of money anyway). Tis a good idea and makes the sport more 'real' to the fans I guess compared to something like Formula 1 where you will never even get to sit in an F1 car let alone appreciate its performance. Course, doesn't mean you will ride as fast as Lance, but at least you will know its not the bike at fault, just you and possibly your doping regieme :D

Steve.

Back