Plastic oil tank disposal?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a new heating oil tank fitted at a rental property about a year ago and haven't got around to disposing of the old one yet, what is the best way to do this?

I have asked a few plumbers and they said cut it up in to small pieces and take it to the tip, anybody done this?

The old one was looking a bit tired, there were small cracks appearing in the top and also someone had shot it with an air rifle as there was a pellet stuck in the side of it :rolleyes:.

It's supposedly empty but guess there could be a bit of sludge in the bottom.

Anybody got any better ideas?

Thanks, Doug

We had a tank replaced a couple of years ago. I asked the heating engineer what to do with it and there was a company that collected & recycled them. It wasn’t very expensive if I remember right but I did have to wait a while until they were in the area. No doubt similar businesses operate all over the UK.

I cut our old one up and hid bits of it in our domestic (landfill) bin. I used a bag of cat litter - fullers earth - to soak up the traces of dirty wet oil.

Thanks for the replies, looking like I've ended up with a mix of both suggestions.

Speaking to a plumber today who is replacing a tank for someone in 3 weeks, he says he uses a firm to take the old ones away but the tank needs cutting in half and flushing out first, if I do this he will add it to the list to be taken, costs £35.

Looks like I will be getting out the jigsaw and the cat litter (y)

I would think about sawdust rather than cat litter, if you have some available, purely because of weight.

So what do you do with the oil you absorb? Here the tank must be pumped out then removed whole and if that isn't possible flushed with the contents recovered before cutting it up. The waste can't be tossed in a landfill and must be sent to a waste oil recovery company where it gets recycled. Any contaminated soil around a buried tank must also be removed and is treated as hazardous waste.

Pete

You don't say what shape it is.

Around here I have seen a few converted to shelters for goats.

If you are in a City, might not be hi demand. :):)

The waste can't be tossed in a landfill and must be sent to a waste oil recovery company where it gets recycled
The stuff comes out of the ground in the first place, so just putting it back. :)

This is light heating oil, so I would use old sawdust to absorb the leftover rubbish in the tank, then burn it at high temperature. That's what was going to happen to the oil anyway. Then I would cut up the plastic tank and put it into the recycling bin to be processed.
At our local recycling centre, if it was old engine oil, you empty the oil into a big collection tank, then you are told to chuck the empty container into landfill. That's pretty common. There is not a good solution for contaminated containers.

I'm sure there are professional companies which will come and clean out an old heating tank and deal with the contaminant. That will cost a fortune!. I would be wary of letting a plumber clean it for £35. Probably Fairy Liquid and hot water to emulsify it, then down your drain!. They would need to be licensed to dispose of the waste correctly.

I had exactly the same issue as Doug. Replaced a single skinned 2500l tank with a bunded one during lockdown #1. Heating engineer said to cut it up with reciprocating saw and take it to the tip. I finally got round to draining the old tank two weeks ago - put it on Facebook marketplace as "free to a good home" - within 2 hours it was taken. Guy came last weekend and took it away - he was going to use it as a tank to feed a diesel generator.

Well it's looking like it's sorted, a local farmer is coming to collect the tank later today. No idea what he is using it for but saves me the trouble of getting rid of it and I like the idea that it will actually be reused rather than just cut up and disposed of :)

Thanks for the input guys.

It contaminates the ground water so in places where the people rely on well water they are screwed forever.

Pete
Someone ought to mention that to the folk living around Fort McMurray - or any major international airport or motorway/highway or petrol/service station or....:)
We're talking about a few litres of dirty water/kerosene mix here - yes it's potentially pollution, but if it's soaked into fuller's earth or something similar e.g. Lubetech 15Ltr Maintenance Spill Kit and disposed of reasonably responsibly (most landfill sites in the UK are very tightly regulated and managed to minimise pollution risk beyond their boundaries).
Also, in the UK, very few people get their domestic water supply from (shallow) boreholes (apart from anything else, the groundwater's already pretty filthy:( in most (sub)urban areas!).

Technically, because this pertains to waste generated by a business activity (renting a property), it's hazardous waste unless fully decontaminated (which itself would also generate hazardous waste) and needs to be taken to a licensed disposal site.

If it was you changing your own oil tank at your residence it would fall under the purview of domestic waste, which is exempt from most requirements, and the "Waste Collection Authority" (usually the district or county council) is legally compelled to take it away if you chop it up and put it in the bin, hazardous or not.

The stuff comes out of the ground in the first place, so just putting it back. :)

This is light heating oil, so I would use old sawdust to absorb the leftover rubbish in the tank, then burn it at high temperature. That's what was going to happen to the oil anyway. Then I would cut up the plastic tank and put it into the recycling bin to be processed.
At our local recycling centre, if it was old engine oil, you empty the oil into a big collection tank, then you are told to chuck the empty container into landfill. That's pretty common. There is not a good solution for contaminated containers.

I'm sure there are professional companies which will come and clean out an old heating tank and deal with the contaminant. That will cost a fortune!. I would be wary of letting a plumber clean it for £35. Probably Fairy Liquid and hot water to emulsify it, then down your drain!. They would need to be licensed to dispose of the waste correctly.

From a practical point of view, this is probably the most sensible approach, it would still technically be illegal to burn the oily sawdust, but it's unlikely to cause environmental harm if done with reasonable care.

If OP wanted to completely cover themselves, doing what you suggest but absorbing the oil in the absolute minimum amount of cat litter (or "Spill Sorb" which is effectively the same thing) necessary, bagging it up, and paying a nominal amount (Oily absorbents are around £85 per 205l drum in today's market, so I'd expect to pay no more than £15 for a single rubble sack full) to get it taken away by someone who can give them the right paperwork to prove it, would be the cheapest option.

Most tank cleaning firms would balk at actually cleaning a domestic heating oil tank as being too small and too awkward to access and advise that it's disposed of as is, they might be willing to come shift it and arrange disposal however.

Various oil recovery/Haz waste firms take them away intact for a nominal fee (£50-85 + transport) but that's literally to take it away either loaded on their truck or from a location they can easily pick it up with a "moffet" forklift.

Those firms will then cut them up, dig out the sludge for recovery (most oily sludge can be "cooked" to yield a decent amount of oil) and send out the plastic to a drum recycling company with their other contaminated plastic containers, where it's shredded, washed in hot caustic, then dried and granulated for sale to plastic recyclers...

Technically the HWRC's (local tips) should be collecting the empty containers for recycling in this way, but they know that if it goes into general waste which is destined for an Energy from Waste plant they will never get challenged on it.

If their waste actually goes directly to landfill (this is now really quite rare) then the operator is taking a big risk as landfill loads are frequently inspected and sampled by both the landfill operator and regulators, I know of at least one site which got huge punitive fines for exactly this behaviour.

Someone ought to mention that to the folk living around Fort McMurray - or any major international airport or motorway/highway or petrol/service station or....:)

There's a lot of money goes into remediating the land around failed underground storage tanks, and refurbishing old tanks and piping to meet modern environmental protection standards (usually fitting an internal liner to make them double wall) is also big business.

Airports, fuel forecourts, car washes and even large car-parks have to have rainwater and firewater interceptors to prevent spills leaving site as standard these days; maintaining these unseen systems is probably the largest single activity within the workload of waste tankering and industrial cleaning firms, with domestic sewage coming in a close second.

(In case anyone was wondering how I know all of this, work for/on Waste Management projects makes up the bulk of my day-to-day, mainly chemical waste but also stuff for recycling and landfill leachate management)

it would still technically be illegal to burn the oily sawdust, but it's unlikely to cause environmental harm if done with reasonable care.
Is that still correct if if was just heating oil. not engine oil?? My reasoning was the oil gets burnt legally anyway and sawdust can be burnt legally, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was technically illegal to burn them together. What about all these people that add chip fat to their diesel?? I would have them run off the road if didn't smell so nice to drive behind them. mmmmm fish and chips!! :)
I'm constantly surprised what the people at my recycle centre tell me to put into landfill.

Is that still correct if if was just heating oil. not engine oil?? My reasoning was the oil gets burnt legally anyway and sawdust can be burnt legally, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was technically illegal to burn them together. What about all these people that add chip fat to their diesel?? I would have them run off the road if didn't smell so nice to drive behind them. mmmmm fish and chips!! :)
I'm constantly surprised what the people at my recycle centre tell me to put into landfill.

The current regulations consider all oils other than cooking oils to be classed as Hazardous Waste (even when testing demonstrates the oil demonstrates no hazardous properties) and has an absolute requirement to dispose of hazardous waste via an approved disposal site or under an exemption registered with the authorities (there is such an exemption for those waste oil burning heaters some garages use, and another for making biodiesel from cooking oil).

UK waste legislation in general is a blunt instrument designed mainly to make it impossible for people to justify doing things that are quite obviously wrong via a technicality (because that was a significant issue with the previous set of regulations), with a bit of leeway for regulators to grant a one off exception when something is clearly resulting in a silly or problematic outcome.

What's not clear (and has never been clarified in court) is if a private citizen acting on their own account would break any laws treating their own waste like that, but a business certainly would.

Given private individuals can dispose of pretty much anything in their "residual waste" (black bag) without breaking the law that's always an option, although councils generally discourage it (and often provide a special service to collect it seperately) because of the chaos inevitably caused if anything slightly dangerous or unusual makes it in there (I've seen a couple of bin-lorry fires caused by tins of Potassium Chlorate weedkillers, and various other minor disasters).

Hi got rid of oil and installed gas heating. Wanted rid of the old oil tank. Stuck it on gumtree for free and some fella came and took it. No cutting, no hassle, just lifted it on to the back of a trailer! :)

Well it's looking like it's sorted, a local farmer is coming to collect the tank later today. No idea what he is using it for but saves me the trouble of getting rid of it and I like the idea that it will actually be reused rather than just cut up and disposed of :)

Thanks for the input guys.
From an environmental perspective - re-use/extend of life is top of the tree on the Elen McArthur list of things to do. The farmer may or may not have the means to dispose of any residue, but he is a regulated business and probably would use it for oil of some kind.

Back