Plant Stand-come-Bird Table type thing ....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenx

Established Member
Reaction score
Siorrachd Obar Dheathain , ALBA & Now Botesd
Made this .... Spalted Beech,
It came out not too badly, although the centre section has too heavy a 'spalt' to be particularly attractive, to my eye anyway. :wink:
Still.. notwithstanding that.. fun and frolics were had, during the making.. as always 8) 8) 8)

I'm not too sure what to call it .. I think its a potstand,
my kids asked if I was intending taking up baptising babies,
and my missus thought it was a birdbath
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

( its really a satellite dish.. but I'll tell them later :wink: )

and to show the size/scale.. there's a zippo lighter in this pic..

Sorry I have a few unwanted reflections bouncing off the thing in the photo's.. thats the 'on-camera' flash, I guess :roll: ...
but you'll get the general idea 8)

I believe 'Tazza' is the word your looking for Alun. Now you can tell 'er indoors what you where really making. :wink: You can serve the AfterEight mints in it one evening. :lol:

I like the spalt even on the stem, in fact I think you have done a crackin' job on it. Also the sparkly bits shouldn't matter, we're supposed to be trying to be turners, not photo guy's. :roll:

BirdBath - Lol,

That wood is hot Alun ! Very nice. You're cove/beads on the column are very smart !

Loz

Spooky. I've just been watching the first part of Andy Lodge's 'Let's Make a Tazza!'

You're is much better ;) Love the wood.

wow alun its amazing, thats a cracking item, love everything about it, shape , wood and i hope you can get freeview too. :lol:

Very nice work Jenx - lovely spalting in that piece of beech. I thought things that shape were cake stands - at least that's what my Mum used one for (is that why cake & tea in the afternoon used to be called "high tea"?). Hers had a china plate that fitted in the top.

tekno.mage

I think the word Tazza originates from Yorkshire as I'd never heard it til Andy Lodge made a DVD about it.

Cake Stand is what I'd term it.

Looks very nice to me =D> =D> =D> =D>
It would make a super candle stand, you know those large candles they have in church. [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

John. B

Very nice piece,excellent figuring as well - nice shape,very clean and neat,finish looks great :D

Andrew

great work- my only comment would be the shiny finish as i prefer matt or stain on spalted beech ( but thats my preference)

Great Tazza Alun, lovely timber too. Afternoon tea I presume. have made several starts at one of thoes but always in ash because Andy Lodge made his in ash, will now try some other timber next time. Well done REgards Boysie.

Thanks everyone.. :D :D :D :D
Some really encouraging comments there...
Truly , that is appreciated :oops: :oops: :D

Its one of the few times where I set off with a plan drawn as to what I wanted to achieve ( albeit very much a 'fag-packet' scribble ), and did get something approximating the concept by the time I'd finished.
So that alone, made me quite happy at the result. :)

My fishing-pal has seen it and asked 'can I have that' ?
So I've said 'aye, if you like it.. you have it'
and if it's something that a mate has actually asked for, rather than having 'foisted upon him' by me, then I guess that will perhaps mean he'll value the thing and take reasonable care of it... which is a good enough end-result for me at this stage in the learning. 8) :)

Really enjoyed making that one.
That was a lot of fun. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Well I don't get a chance to come on the forum for a week and Jenx goes and sneaks things like this on :shock:

Well done thats really nice, you've done a lovely job there! Nice wood too, I don't think the centre bit is too spalted, looks great to me. I think the nice glossy finish suits it perfectly, gives it that 'proper furniture' look.

Top job mate :D 8)

JT

Back