Planning the interior of your workshop????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutting42

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

With all this workshop construction going on and me planning a workshop as well I would like to ask the experienced woodworkers on the forum as to their best advice for workshop layouts, positioning of larger machine tools, benches and storage. I know in kitchens there is the work triangle of the fridge, cooker and sink, is there a similar rule in the workshop.

Any thoughts please

crude but it worked for me (single car garage), i just drew my space to scale on squared paper and then drew my tools to scale and cut them out.
Place them on your plan till your happy with a layout.
Saves all the hassle of really moving things around to to see what fits.

Tom

layout-1.jpg

Interesting problem, workshop logistics. One thing that I've found over the years is that my requirements change, and a layout which was fine once becomes inadequate when something changes, like buying a new machine. I've recently reorganized my shop, and I've more to do yet.

One thing I would suggest is that you mount wall cuppoard and tool boards on the wall using French cleats. That way it is very easy indeed to move them around if you find they are not in the right place.

HTH

I have decided to make as much as possible on wheels or french cleats and will be putting power sockets everywhere!

I'm starting to plan my layout. I have a 3mx3m extension on my garage which acts as the main workshop, but this connects on to the main 5m x 5m garage to give me more room if I need it.

I'm planning a Norm style mitre station along one wall, but one section in it will be a router table on wheels. I plan to fit wall units on this same wall and between the 2 have a untilities "trough" to run power and compressed air etc (may well be other gasses in addition as I want to take jewellery back up again).

I suspect this will end up as a winter project as I'm still trying to figure out how to get the above plus a table saw, planer / thicknesser, 2 lathes, work bench and a sink in to the rest of the space :eek:

cutting42":3ag9sz3o said:
I know in kitchens there is the work triangle of the fridge, cooker and sink, is there a similar rule in the workshop.

Workflow is discussed (and illustrated) at length in The Workshop Book. Unfortunately, my copy is with a friend who is planning a new workshop of his own, but it's well worth the investment. I'm sure he uses the workflow triangle metaphor at one point and I remember at least one shop that literally had the key tools arranged in a triangle in the middle of the shop.

Must get my copy back :roll: :)

cutting42":11onf2og said:
Hi All

With all this workshop construction going on and me planning a workshop as well I would like to ask the experienced woodworkers on the forum as to their best advice for workshop layouts, positioning of larger machine tools, benches and storage. I know in kitchens there is the work triangle of the fridge, cooker and sink, is there a similar rule in the workshop.

Any thoughts please

Best advice I can offer after about 10 years of wood play and 2 workshops is to just put things in where they seem to fit OK. Don't worry too much about 'getting it right' or 'the work flow' :roll: (we are assuming hobbiest here)

Then use it for a couple of months before moving stuff around.

After a quick re-arrangemetn of tools etc., you'll have the perfect layout for your tools and space.

I reckon this method beats careful planning on papaer or computer hands-down!

I think i'd agree with Tony, you need to work in a space before you can work out whats going to work out best.

blimey, i agree with tony too, but would make one other important
point, do you yet have any idea about the size of the things you are
likely to make and cut. the length of planks on both sides of any machine
are as important as the layout. also can you get round things whilst
you are working, that gets scary.

an scms is easy in most cases, but with a table saw you need the same
depth on front and back, same with a planer thicknesser, and also really a
band saw.

also we are all really lazy, but it is important to be able to access things
easily so rather than worry about where you are going to work on things,
what about where to store so you have the room to work after cutting/
planing etc.

wherever you are you really need an open space in which to fettle
and assemble and often this is better situated in the middle to
make getting access on all sides easier. also remember the basic rule.
will what ever you have made go out of the doors, and into the home
it was designed for.? :twisted: :?

paul :wink:

To put a slightly different spin on this there is a sort of advised workflow through a joinery shop in most training texts which in simplified form something like this:

Storage -> break-down and primary dimensioning (i.e. cross cut, then rip cut then plane and thickness) -> joint making (mortices/tenons/dowels, etc) -> profiling (bandsaw, routing/spindle moulder) -> bench assembly -> sanding and finishing

Whichever way you build a workshop that sort of flow is pretty much inevitable, and in a small space you may need to "compartmentalise" your woodworking to one or two major activities in each session so the suggestions about putting things on castors or hanging them on walls are excellent. If you do that there is less of a need to have a fixed layout and more of a need to understand the flow of parts and to manage the "production". From past experience I'd agree about keeping the assembly bench permanently set-up if at all possible.

One supplier I deal with runs a sub-component manufacturing service as a "sideline". Their main production is centred around two CNC routers, but they also have a full set of classic (single-function) static machinery, however despite being in a very tall building they are strapped for space so all the machinery they are not using at any time is stacked 4-high in racking. First time I was in their place it really shook me to see a 24 x 9 thicknesser (about 1-1/2 tonnes worth) strapped to a pallet in a rack 16 feet above me, I can tell you!

Scrit

this is an excellent thread with a lot of good idea's - i've yet to really put any brain power to thinking about my layout, but my circumstances may be different to most others as I don't intend to have much machinery, most of it will portable or bench top, so I think for me and others in a similar situation, storage and bench space is the main thing to think about.

The only thing i've pretty much nailed in my plans is both a joinery/carepentry bench and also a work-table for use with the festool, assembly, glue-ups, and finishing. Other than that i'll probably just have castered cabinets dotted around key area's although with the head-room that I have, it might be wise to have a few head-height cabinets..

Anyways, keep the idea's coming,

In my experience,as power cords get shorter, double power sockets every 5/6 feet around the walls preferably at about five feet off the ground to avoid trailing wires, bet even if you do this there won't be enough.

One though about assembly. Have you considered a dual height bench with a removeable higher level, say 900/1000mm for routing, ets and a lower level at 400 to 600mm for assembly of carcasses? Assembling larger pieces can be a pain on a full height workbench

Scrit

Back